Thursday, 20 May 2010

Working Husband Birthday Bash Blues

Remember this bloke?


Meez 3D avatar avatars games

Yes, long suffering husband to Working Mum.

Well, it's his 40th Birthday this summer.

I want to make it special for the man who puts up with me and my querky ways (see last post).

The man who made me skip hand in hand with him (a la Michael MacIntyre) along the green outside our house this week, much to the amusement of our neighbours!

He makes me laugh. A lot.

He deserves a good 40th birthday.

But what to do?

Firstly, I asked if he would like a party.

He said "Yes, a barbecue."

I thought "I can do that" and started to make the invitations.

Then he said "No, everyone is away on holiday and my best mate has moved to France".

Scrub the barbecue.

I suggested a meal out with just the three of us.

"Well, we do that a lot anyway"

Scrub the meal out.

You see, he always says not to bother and he isn't a birthday person and it's no fun having your birthday when everyone is away on holiday, but when the day arrives he wants a special day dedicated to him with lots of fun.

And he sulks if he doesn't get it!

So far I have secretly arranged a tour of Manchester City's stadium for the three of us and I've bought him a mega amazing birthday present of a "Platinum Package" for an event at the MEN Arena (more details later)

I'm going to buy this cake tin ....



..... and make him a footballer cake (in City colours, of course)

But what about the party aspect?

He's a really gregarious bloke who would love to spend time with his friends for his 40th, but most are away on holiday for his birthday.

Any ideas?




8 comments:

mater familias said...

When is his birthday? Could you not arrange something for when people are all back and give him a fabulous hi-tech invitation wrapped up along with the other things? For my first Christmas after our first child Stephen had arranged a trip to London, hotel and show - not till about April, but on Christmas Day I unwrapped a specially made flier for it - like the holidays people used to win on Blind Date!

Working Mum said...

His birthday is July 30th; a deferred party may work. It's just working out when everyone is around.

Kelloggsville said...

go to France for the weekend for a BBq with his friend? I also like Mater Familias idea

Working Mum said...

Kelloggsville - we are going to France to visit said friend in early July so we could have an early celebration then.

libby said...

He is obviously loved, so whatever you do he will be happy with...and a BBQ in France sounds like a good plan....with lots of 'being spoilt rotten' on the day itself. We climbed Snowden on my husbands 40th..carried a bottle of champagne to drink at the top..just had water at the top and carried the champagne all the way back down, had it with fish and chips later!

Maggie May said...

Celebrate just with close family on the day and have a second celebration later on when everyone seems to be around.
Two Birthdays like the Queen!
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Moannie said...

Everyone seems to have got it covered-he's a lucky guy anyway to have half of blogland worrying over him. Yeah, a family do first with a presentation of itinerie for forthcoming EXTRA celebration in France.

Catharine Withenay said...

I'm slow catching up on blogs at the moment, but can you keep me up-to-date with your decisions? I have exactly the same problem for my husband mid-August (also a 40th!) I'm struggling with ideas that don't drift into a house-warming party ... although that assumes that our house will be ready by then...