Saturday, 17 April 2010

WM Masters Cream Cheese Frosting

Today is a very good day.

Today, for the first time in six months we have hall, stairs and landing carpet. No more freezing draughts blowing through the bare floorboards. I have spent the last week painting four coats of varnish onto the spindles, hand rail and newel posts that I have been sanding every weekend for the last six months. Yesterday the carpet fitter arrived and this morning he finished. Even daughter has commented that walking out of her bedroom onto carpet feels funny!

Also, for the first time in three and a half years, I have lampshades in the hall and on the landing. You don't know what a difference it makes. The house is so nearly finished! Just a light fitting, a mirror and some pictures to go up and ten interior doors to be painted and varnished. The end is in sight!

In the meantime, I have been baking and today's offerings are banana and white chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting:



Now, I have always had trouble with cream cheese frosting. Either is doesn't set or I get little lumps of butter that won't blend even though it's at room temperature. I have learned through bitter experience that it has to be full fat cream cheese, the 'light' versions just liquify. So today I decided to try an American recipe. After all, the Americans are the undisputed masters of cream cheese frosting.

Now I know the secret:

Blend equal amounts of cream cheese and icing sugar, then add a little melted butter and blend. A few minutes in the fridge to set and you have perfect, glossy, firm cream cheese frosting. Yummy!

7 comments:

Kelloggsville said...

yum

Carol said...

Hmmmmmm......my favorite~

Felinedream said...

That's a great tip for cream cheese frosting. I've never made it but it's on my to-do-list.

libby said...

Baking,sanding,painting, parenting, working, blogging????Your energy level must be amazing!! I think I need to follow your diet!!

mater familias said...

Great looking cupcakes - did they taste as good as they looked? (I already feel sure the answer is going to be yes!) I have baked Sophie Dahl's recipe for orange cake for my Dad's 70th birthday tomorrow, and will be trying to add raspberry and buttercream filling in the morning. That is, assuming that one can still get raspberries in the shops . . .
(lux aurumque, by the way, not arumque! But yes, amazing performance.)

Working Mum said...

Mater Familias - they tasted very bananary, but the white chocolate chips seem to have disappeared. Ooops with the spelling, bit of word blindness there. I also spelled/spelt (both are acceptable) "Chartres" incorrectly! Have corrected it now.

scrappysue said...

who's a clever girl then? again!