Sunday, 18 April 2010

Lux Aurumque

We are currently singing quite a bit of Eric Whitacre in the Chorale at the moment. Eric is a very modern and innovative composer of choral music. I must admit that I haven't quite 'got' him yet, but I'm being open minded.

One of the pieces we are singing is "Lux Aurumque" which, on paper, looks like a mish mash of notes that don't quite go together according to traditional harmonic rules. From my position in the choir in the soprano section it just sounds odd, maybe it sounds different to the audience.

Then, a friend, who had no idea I was singing "Lux Aurumque", sent me this:




I've never seen or heard choral music like it!

You can read about the concept and the project here.

I think the fact that the tracks were recorded individually by the singers gives the piece a poignancy that isn't there when singing is a shared experience.

As far as I'm aware, this is a unique interpretation of a piece of music.

Eric, I am converted!

11 comments:

Jen said...

Beautiful! Thank you.

Are you watching Sacred Music on BBC? It made me think of you :-)

1 husband, 2 kids (and lots of books) said...

I've recently started to listen to choral music but know next to nothing about it as yet. Loved this piece of music and currently typing in your choir's repetoire list into spotify to see what other gems there are. It must be absolutely amazing to sing this sort of thing.

Iota said...

I would love to see them do Tallis 64-part motet Spem in Alium like that.

Working Mum said...

Jen - no, I didn't know it was on. Will have to look out for it.

1 husband, 2 kids - glad you are getting into choral music; there is such a variety. That is what I like about singing with The Manchester Chorale; one minute it's Hallelujah Chorus, then light jazz, then sacred motets, then modern compositions, then Andrea Bocelli...... I never know what's coming next! Look out for my personal favourite composer - Stanford; his "Bluebird" is just the most sublime piece and the memory of singing his motet "Beati Quorum Via" in Chartre Cathedral will stay with me forever.

Iota - we (the Manchester Chorale) did that Tallis 64 part motet last year! It would be amazing to see the individual singers performing it virtually, but I think his (Eric Whitacre's) next idea of actually writing a new piece for a virtual choir sounds very exciting.

Working Mum said...

Sorry, Chartres Cathedral!

Kelloggsville said...

wow - that was lovely and very clever. Thanks for sharing it. x

Alcoholic Daze (ADDY) said...

Thanks for that - the music is lovely and the presentation extremely novel. I like it!

Maggie May said...

Makes all the hairs stand up on your neck..... well it would if I had hairs! LOL

Did I say thank you for the nomination? Put it down to chemo brain if I didn't. Truly thankful.

Nuts in May

Hullaballoo said...

That's like music from the other side, something you may only get to hear for a few privileged moments in your life. It was stunning, thank you.

BTW is you mother in law home yet?

Working Mum said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Working Mum said...

Typos in last comment, hence deleted and replaced with this:

Hullaballoo - MIL returned to UK on Tuesday evening after paying £2000, yes £2000, to hire a car which her brother in law (with heart condition) drove across Europe! Mad! Three pensioners in a four star hotel in Sorrento with nothing to come home for. Why couldn;t they just wait there?