Saturday, 24 April 2010

Ding Dong!

Well, my MIL arrived back from Italy having spent £2000 to hire a car and drive across Europe. (Why? Why couldn't three pensioners with nothing to come back for just stay in Sorrento for another week until Thomson flew them home again?)

I've yet to hear the tale because I've been so busy all week I've managed to avoid her.

On top of my working week I've had yet another Parents' Evening, a choir rehearsal, an evening helping an ex pupil with her PhD (never thought I'd be working out correlation coefficients for pig, rat and human brain drug uptake!) and, last night, a concert.

Phew!

Yes, last night I sang in a St George's Day concert at the Bridgewater Hall.

"Land of Hope and Glory" and all that.

Lots of flag waving and plenty of "Rule Britannia".

Great fun, but guess who the presenter was.

Go on, guess.

The clue is in the title of this post.

Yes,

Leslie Phillips!

Helllloooow!

12 comments:

Studentmum said...

Oooooh! I hope he was as suave and as smooth as he appears on TV!

Polly said...

I have no idea who he is, but it sounds exciting nonetheless!

Working Mum said...

Studentmum - yes, he was and he flirted shamelessly with the solo soprano even though he is old enough to be her grandfather!

Polly - vintage English actor and national treasure with catchphrase "ding dong" said with plenty of innuendo! (I've added a link now for those who don't know him)

The Dotterel said...

Gosh, I thought he's shuffled off this mortal coil years ago. I assume not, unless the Bridgewater team have overcome the problem of bodily resurrection.

Working Mum said...

The Dotterel - he's 86, and very much alive and flirting!

Alcoholic Daze (ADDY) said...

I always found him a bit creepy.

gigi said...

I really want to hear you sing one day!

Working Mum said...

Gigi - I know it's not the same as live, but there are some samples of me singing in the Chorale at http://www.manchesterchorale.org.uk/recordings.html

Maggie May said...

Action packed life you have. Fancy meeting Leslie Phillips and him flirting at 86!

I think I would have stayed the extra week in Spain if I didn't have any urgent appointments or good reason to rush home.
All expenses could have been paid, surely?!

Nuts in May

Working Mum said...

Maggie - even if her expenses in Sorrento weren't paid, they wouldn't have come to the amount they paid for the hire car, two hotels, a ferry and the petrol. Mad!

Kelloggsville said...

WOW - Ding Dong indeed! I am impressed.

(ps why do retired older folk have to create such a fuss like that - as you say they could have just put their feet up for another week.)

saz said...

Ding dong!!! lol