Sunday, 14 March 2010

Mithering Sunday!

No, not a spelling error.

I think the trouble with Mother's Day is that my expectations are too high.

You'd think I'd have learned by now, wouldn't you?

Take my first Mother's Day. I thought it would be special, my first Mother's Day as a mother:

It started well when the florist arrived with a bouquet. It looked promising that husband had booked a table at a restaurant ........................ and invited his mum. Hmmph.

From then on it has been six years of disappointment.

The lowest point had to be the year I spent Mother's Day decorating the study, whilst husband ran up and down stairs to ask my instructions on how to cook the meal he'd chosen to do! He got more and more annoyed with me as things went wrong until he came upstairs and barked at me:

"It won't fit in the pan!"

"Well, use two b****y pans, then!" I barked back.

That was a nice Mother's Day dinner!

So this year, after he'd invited his mother again, I decided to lock myself in the kitchen and cook my favourite Sunday dinner (roast beef and yorkshire puddings, lemon meringue pie).

However, I had forgotten about Church Parade, and, as husband so helpfully reminded me,

"You do Rainbows, I do swimming"

Can't the demarcation line be crossed for Mother's Day?

Apparently not.

I think he's still smarting about the fact that I wouldn't take her swimming so that he could be on time for a City match.

The trouble with putting your foot down is that it comes back to bite you on the bum!
(You know what I mean)

So I was in the kitchen at 9am to prepare vegetables, make a lemon meringue pie, make the yorkshire pudding batter and put the meat in the oven on the timer. I then took daughter to church and returned an hour later to continue cooking the meal.

Not quite what I had in mind.

But it's all okay because I got a new apron to wear while I was cooking!

No, I'm not being sarcastic, I love it!

For my Mother's Day present, I got this one, but with "Mummy's Cupcakes" embroidered on it. (How to get the present you want? Leave a copy of the web page on husband's briefcase!)

Happy Mother's Day!

16 comments:

Muddling Along Mummy said...

Happy mothers day - sounds like this year was better. Mr missed our first (for a variety of reasons) so getting a card this morning was a huge step forward!!

Maggie May said...

Oh..... well I always say, don't expect anything and then you will be pleasantly surprised.
Hope it all went well in the end.

Nuts in May

Hayley said...

Lol as a Guide leader we do honestly appreciate the mummies that make an effort to bring their children to church parade especially on a sunday, so many dont! :D

Emma said...

ARRGGH @ Men! I was hoping for a completely relaxing day today when it came to Oli , but somehow I ended up doing all the nappies,his lunch & dinner and bathing him. The Mr did my dinner but we normally take it in turns anyway! My mother's day pressie was a ticket to CyberMummy which is what I wanted! :)
Having my boy smile at me this morning was the best present ever! :D
Happy Mother's Day!! x

Working Mum said...

Hayley - the church service was the nicest part of my day! My friend, who is the curate, did a great sermon about maids in service going a-mothering on Refreshment Sunday and picked Izzy to be one of the maids that went round the church collecting flowers from the congregation. It was lovely; glad I didn't miss it!

mater familias said...

Clouds and silver linings come to my mind. I had a hot cross bun brought to me in bed this morning at 7.30 instead of absolutely nothing, at 6.30ish. Also, a lovely meal cooked by husband after kids were in bed. So far, so good, but now I'm only just starting to think about my lessons tomorrow at past 9 pm. Not good, really not good. Did your MIL behave herself?!

Kelloggsville said...

Thank you so much on 2 levels:
1)I know I am not the only mother in the world whose hopes for 'oh yes it was lovely and I felt so spoilt' and usually has another same ol' same ol' with a bit of disappointment as a topping!!
2) for turning out for church Parade - I'm with Hayley - you have no idea how parents like you make such a difference to us - you will have made Rainbow Rabbit's day for sure

xxxx

SMS said...

Nice one! Sounds like lots of us are/have been in the same boat and maybe still learning how to sail it.

the mother of this lot said...

Mine wasn't so hot either! Love the apron!

The Dotterel said...

Once a rainbow, always a Yorkshire-Pudding making, study-painting, church parade attending, apron-wearing super-mum.

Working Mum said...

Mater Familias - I spent the evening writing reports. I stopped report writing at 10.30pm. Teaching doesn't stop for Mother's Day either!

The Dotterel - you can tell I was a Queen's Guide as well, can't you?

Tara@Sticky Fingers said...

I'm treated like a queen for about 2 hours after I wake up. Then they all 'forget' it's Mother's Day until about 7pm when someone will say 'did you have a nice day mummy?'!!

Working Mum said...

Tara- you have described mother's day to a t! They think breakfast in bed equates to a lovely day!

Suzysoo said...

Glad it wasn't too bad in the end! Sounds better than your last one anyway! xx

Elenor Chambers said...

Gorgeous pinny, lucky you!!I want one now (stamping my foot)

And hip hooray for making the effort; I am a Beaver Scout leader..and not one of the little blighters turned up, despite my lovingly WP'd reminders. C'est la vie.
My small son enjoyed filling in and handed out collection purses and daffs. (small rural congregation so quite manageable for a 4 year old!)
In fairness we were competing with a brother's birthday, a Beaver's own birthday, footy practise (raise your eyebrows if you like) and Brownies in the neighbouring village church.
We are all spread thinkly here.

Hip hooray too for your LMP.Yummy.

(my husband cooked lunch while I was churching so I can't complain there!)

Suburbia said...

You know, I think Mothers Day is not what it's cracked up to be!! I agree with Maggie,low expectations pay dividends!