Thursday, 18 February 2010

Tim's Object Meme

Tim, of Bringing up Charlie, has created a great object meme based on the BBC's History of the World in 100 Objects series running on Radio 4. Tim's version is to post about an object from your home that tells a story about you or your family. I left him a comment saying that I'd love to join in with a certain object from our house, but, as usual, work and stuff got in the way. However, I did not forget, and having now got some time (half term) and a new laptop I can join in.

So my object is ........


....... PARSLEY

Parsley was made by my dad for my daughter. Izzy is his only grandchild and when she was about 12 months old he announced that he was going to make her a rocking horse. Not a simple one, no, not my dad, he doesn't do things by halves. A proper, Victorian rocking horse.

He had never made anything like it in his life!

He got the instructions, joined the Rocking Horse Makers Guild (or something like that), bought the pattern, did the research, bought the wood (ecologically forested), bought the lathe and the woodworking tools. He made a mock one out of cheap wood before he tackled the real thing because he was so nervous about making a mistake. There were lots of decisions to be made about the choice of wood, the eyes, the mane, the tack, etc. Every decision was made with love.

It took him two years.

Just before Christmas 2007 he unveiled her:


The brass plate he had made and attached to the bottom made me cry:



My dad has created a family heirloom.

And the best bit..................

....... Izzy doesn't know it, but inside Parsley is a secret box filled with items from Grandad which she can open when she's 21.

Even I don't know what's in it!

21 comments:

xoxo... t said...

That is amazing... what a special gift from Grandpa!

SMS said...

Wow. That's an amazing piece of craftmanship... and the secretly hidden contents will keep you guessing!

Alcoholic Daze (ADDY) said...

What a wonderful idea and one I am sure Izzy will treasure. I wonder what's in that box????

Brighton Mum-Teenage Angst said...

Oh wow! That is just so beautiful. What an amazing gift, and made with such love. Nice little twist with the secret box...And Izzys face in the photo when she first sees Parsley, priceless.

libby said...

How wonderful! such an amazing present, with such a lovely inner secret. Did your dad have carpentry skills already or was this done 'from scratch'? either way it is just beautiful.

Heather said...

what a wonderful horse! that really is beautiful, what a great gift.

Working Mum said...

Libby - my dad hasn't had any carpentry or woodworking training (he's a Chemical Engineer by trade) but he enjoys working with his hands and will teach himself anything he wants to know. He's very handy round the house and with his perfectionist tendencies, he always does a super job whatever he turns his hand to. I think I get a bit of my over achieving tendencies from him, but I'm not in his league!

Working Mum said...

Brighton Mum Teenage Angst - yes, I love her face in that picture. Neither I nor Izzy had seen the horse in making because we wanted it to be a surprise and it was! Luckily my dad took photos of it along the way so we can now look at how it took shape. I still find it amazing!

Working Mum said...

SMS & Addy - Occasionally I wonder what's in it, but I can't look. No, I literally can't. He's leaving me the instructions of how to extract the box in his will in case he's not around when she's 21! It'll be a bit like The Da Vinci Code!

Kelloggsville said...

That's lovely, so wonderful

auntiegwen said...

Truly wonderful x

Muddling Along Mummy said...

That is so beautiful - your Father is a wonderful Grandpa

The Dotterel said...

What an amazing object... if there was a prize for this meme, I think you'd win it. That is truly remarkable, and thanks so much for sharing!

the mother of this lot said...

Now that's what they mean when they say 'a labour of love'!

Polly said...

Oh how very special. What a wonderful gift.

Moannie said...

What an incredible gift...and work of art. Lucky girl. Wonderful Grandpa.

becomingkate said...

How beautiful!!!

Hullaballoo said...

I would have loved a grandpa like that. What a wonderful gift. I love the touch of having the box to open on her 21st.

Claire said...

Absolutely agree with everyone else comments here about your Dad, wonderful man!

What I want to know is how the name Parsley came about? Did your dad choose it or did he sneakily wheedle out of Izzi her ideal pony name?

Working Mum said...

Claire - Izzy knew he was making her a horse so he asked her what she wanted it to be called. For a long time she just said "Thomas" (as in Thomas the Tank Engine), but eventually she chose "Parsley" (much better than Thomas!)

Iota said...

How truly lovely!