Saturday, 13 February 2010

Knowledge or not?

Last night husband and I went out for the evening. A very rare occurrence nowadays. Anyway, a friend had asked us to join her and her husband in a quiz team for a local cause. Sounded innocuous enough.

No, it wasn't. I've now discovered that going to a quiz with recently acquired friends is a dangerous thing to do.

Why?

Well, until last night I'm pretty sure these friends thought I was educated, if not erudite, with a wealth of knowledge in a variety of areas.

At first it started well. I was the only person on the team to know the name of Da Vinci's "Vetruvian Man". I was doing well.

Then it all went wrong.

My main contribution to the quiz?

I was the only person who knew how Alan Bradley had died in Coronation Street!

Oh the shame!

8 comments:

the mother of this lot said...

Think yourself lucky. You actually got to go to the quiz. I just get phone calls asking 'Which is the only football team mentioned in the Bible'....

Working Mum said...

MOTL - that's cheating! And yours a good catholic family!

Moannie said...

I can actually shout at the telly with answers during University Challenge and then bring shame upon myself during Trivial pursuits.

auntiegwen said...

Definitely the week for it !

Kelloggsville said...

Alan Bradley - a tram surely! It's ok, there's no shame in knowing that! It's a classic. It only becomes shameful when it relates to Holyoaks!!

libby said...

We all have lots of strange 'quiz' type knowledge stored away in our heads that it shames us to bring to the light of day in front of others.....unless it helps us win of course!!

mater familias said...

Had a good laugh at this - just as well you did know, or we might not have won those chocs . . . I don't think I made any unique contribution at all. I normally consider literature my "speciality" - but you'll have noticed that engineer husband took the laurels there too . . .

scrappysue said...

i have quiz withdrawal...