Sunday, 7 February 2010

I've finally done it!

No, not packed my bags and left, not resigned at work and not won the lottery. After three years of umming and ahhing, being afraid of changing and generally putting off the inevitable I have finally got a laptop!

We decided to do away with the old desktop and go fully portable in the Working Mum house.

I did a bit of research on the net, decided on a model and today I bought it!

I was so afraid of starting afresh, something always goes wrong when I try to set up a computer, but I've just spent an hour and a half setting up Windows 7, creating recovery discs, installing Internet Security, connecting to wireless and downloading Firefox.

Now I'm up and running!

Feeling quite proud of myself!

(Hope you're reading this, C)

No switching on the computer 20 minutes before I need it.

No doing other jobs whilst using computer because it takes so long to do anything.

(Yes, our computer was that old)

An no waiting for husband to finish with his laptop.

I can watch i-player in bed!

I can blog when I like!

I can waste endless hours of my life on-line.

Meez 3D avatar avatars games

Oh, maybe this wasn't such a good idea.......

19 comments:

Brighton Mum-Teenage Angst said...

Yay! I'm a little envious! I'm debating whether to indulge myself with a laptop.

Emma said...

So happy for you! Laptops does make life easier! But yeah easier to do those things that can get addicting! hehe...
:D

Kelloggsville said...

I reckon there is a gadget that allows you to strap your laptop to a hoover handle, suction cup it to above the sink and have a water proof covering for the shower - life doesn't have to stop - we can multi-task!!!! enjoy x

Mummy Cow said...

There goes your multi-tasking!

Expat mum said...

Brilliant. One thing which you may already know. If you send 2007 docs to people with older versions, they can't open them so you have to SAVE AS, and it gives you the option to save as a 1997-2003 document. Apologies if you already know this but I did this so many times it was a pain.

Working Mum said...

Thanks Expat Mummy, but actually , even if you save as 2003, it doesn't always open properly in earlier versions. Don't get me started on this topic! I so detest Office 2007, and there are also many technical problems with it that I haven't bought it with the laptop. I'm sticking with Office XP for now! Even companies and institutions who have bought 2007 are uninstalling it and going back to 2003. Looks like Microsoft have a flop on their hands; they've tried to tell us what we want and actually, we don't! Office 2007 is a real pain to use and you can't customise it. I really resent the fact I have to use it at work where everyone hates it except the IT Director who can't admit he's made mistake installing it on the school network. Okay, rant over!

Sarah said...

I'm totally with you on Office 2007! A load of rubbish.

I'm sticking with 2003.

C said...

Happy Blogging :-)

Suburbia said...

Yay! I spend endless hours of my life on line too, Welcome!!

Crystal Jigsaw said...

I think it was a fabulous idea. I'm sure you'll have many happy hours with your new toy.

CJ xx

Ladybird World Mother said...

I AM SO JEALOUS. We have a permanent queue on this computer. Have fun!!

Expat mum said...

It must be a slightly different version in the UK as I love mine. It took a bit of getting used to as the rulers at the top are different and i can never find HELP when I need it. However, the kids love it for school as it has built in bibliography formats for them.
It's also so much easier to insert things.

xoxo... t said...

Congratulations!

Eternally Distracted said...

Yay for the inventors of laptops :0)

cheshire wife said...

I hope that you are not neglecting the housework!

rosiero said...

You and me both! I got mine just before Christmas and it is fantastic. I am on it all the time and all over the house!! Even now, while staying at my mum's. The freedom; the liberation. It's great, isn't it?

Claire said...

Excellent news and not before time!! Har har!

1 husband, 2 kids (and lots of books) said...

and now you'll be able to read blogs sitting on the loo, whilst cooking tea, having lunch etc. etc. just hope your blog/life balance doesn't go the way mine threatened too until I reeled in my online habit.

scrappysue said...

hehe - yu don't need a laptop to waste hours online...