Sunday, 21 February 2010

A Great Aunt

On Friday night my great aunt died. It's okay. She still had her marbles and she still lived in her own house. She was fiercely independent (getting up and dressed before the home help came to get her up and dressed!) and still interested in life. She died fairly quickly after developing a kidney problem last week. I think that's much better than deteriorating slowly and dying painfully. She would have been 90 tomorrow so it's a shame she didn't make it to her birthday, but she lived a long, good life and enjoyed having her family around her.

She was my grandmother's sister and lived round the corner from my grandmother so I saw her a lot when I was growing up. Together with another sister, the three ladies loomed large in my life. I have a lovely photo of the three of them together at my wedding. The very next day my Aunt Vera died (she'd lived on borrowed time for about 20 years having a heart condition!), two months later my grandmother died (she had a stroke on the bus on the way to dancing with a friend, a good way to go, I think) and now Aunt Nellie has gone. End of an era.

I hadn't seen her for a while, but I wrote, sent cards, photos and postcards and sent pictures daughter made for her. I won't be able to go to her funeral because, as a teacher, I can't take time off for funerals for 'distant' relatives, but I can pay my respects in other ways. This post is one.

She really was a Great Aunt Nellie.

11 comments:

libby said...

Sorry for your loss but you sound like you have her in your heart

Maggie May said...

She did very well and I'm sure she had a very good life. To have your marbles and health at that age and to be living independently is more than anyone could ask.
My condolences for you and yours.

Nuts in May

Muddling Along Mummy said...

I'm sorry for your loss but it sounds like a wonderful life well lived

I had great aunts that were great ladies - I named Toddlergirl after one !

Kelloggsville said...

I am very sorry for your loss. Your post has had me sat here pondering my Great Aunts and thinking of happy memories xxx

Alcoholic Daze (ADDY) said...

So sorry to read about your loss. They made that generation of strong stuff, though, and they battled on without complaining.

Mummy Cow said...

A lovely tribute to your Aunt. So rotten that the school decides that a Great(terrific) Aunt is a distant relative. Thinking of you.
MCx

Fab, feisty and fifty... said...

what a lovely tribute to your Great auntie nellie!!!


saz x

Crystal Jigsaw said...

Condolences for your loss. 90 is a grand old age isn't it, and definitely the best way to go is quickly.

CJ xx

Heather said...

Oh i am so sorry. This is a lovely tribute, such a shame you can't get to her funeral.

xoxo... t said...

My condolences.... :(

Iota said...

Thank you for sharing with us. Blogging is a new way of paying respects.