Friday, 1 January 2010

Roll on the Teenies!

I'm not usually one for looking back at New Year, I prefer to look forward. However, this time I suddenly realised that a whole decade of the 21st Century has already passed. The Noughties are no more. How did that happen? It doesn't seem two minutes since I was sitting in my friend's, C's, lounge watching the fabulous fireworks on the Eiffel Tower and drinking very bad champagne (sorry, C's dad, it was!)

So how did my decade go?

Well, on the turn of the millennium I had just started a new job aiming to stay a couple of years and then move on to Head of Department. That was the the school that I am still teaching at, and no, I'm not Head of Department, so my career aspirations didn't materialise, did they? Wonder why that was...........

Let's look at the key years:

  • 2002 Started a Master's Degree (still had career aspirations)
  • 2004 Had baby (ah, that might have something to do with it)
  • 2006 Finished Master's Degree (clinging to thoughts of career despite motherhood)
  • Also 2006 Moved to wreck of a house and started project managing the restorations whilst raising toddler (ah, this was the nail in the career coffin)
  • 2008 Started blog to rant about impossibility of "having it all" and discovered world of blogging (so no longer care about career as have much more interesting things to do with my time!)
Notice anything?

All the even numbered years!

So that means something should happen in 2010.

Ooo, wonder what it is........

See, there I am again, looking forward!

15 comments:

auntiegwen said...

I hope you have an amazing decade, I will show your post to my eldest daughter as she can either do a masters in education or a BA depending on what grades she gets at A2. This might be a wee incentive for her in the last push before the exams.

Thank you for being my and allowing me to be part of your bloggy chums, heres to much more blogging xxxxx

Working Mum said...

AG - doing a Masters whilst working, having baby and moving house was far harder than when I did my BSc degree as an 18 year old. Tell your daughter to do as much as she can fulltime before entering the real world! Happy 2010 to you and yours!

Craig McGinty said...

And a Hearty Happy New Year from this side of the water!!!

The champagne tasted much better this time ;-)

family affairs said...

Happy new year to you and your lovely family and keep up all the good work! Lx

part mummy part me said...

You may not have achieved your career aspirations, but you've certainly achieved a lot over the past ten years. Here's to another fun, eventful decade.

A Confused Take That Fan said...

I bow down to your fabulous achievements. And wish you a brilliant 2010. Who knows what will happen? I hope it's all good! x

Crystal Jigsaw said...

It could be anything but I hope it's wonderful.

Best wishes, CJ xx

rosiero said...

Happy New Year. I'm afraid life has a habit of getting in the way of the best laid plans.

rosiescribble said...

I wonder what it will be! Life has a funny way of catching you off guard!!

Sarah said...

Happy New Year and all the best for a fab 2010. Fingers crossed for even year events!

Polly said...

See you can have it all!!

Happy New Year WM.

Catharine Withenay said...

How exciting! Who needs a career when you can have blogging? (I'm trying to persuade myself of this, if no-one else!!)

Wishing you all the best for 2010!

Muddling Along Mummy said...

Hope that 2010 is a great year for you !

Miglio Helen said...

Fabulous blog.

Funny how things can change over 10 years :-)

Here's to the next 10! Slainte!

cheshire wife said...

It doesn't seem to be possible to juggle a career and the renovation of a house. That's probably why the wife has to do it! I think that our cottage would still be as it was when we bought it if it was up to husband. Perhaps you will get the house finished this year?

A Happy New Year to you!