Thursday, 31 December 2009

Marley was dead; to begin with........

(Firstly, let me say that this is not a sponsored post, it's just pure me!)


Today we headed off to the cinema to see Disney's offering of "A Christmas Carol".

Now, this story is very dear to my heart. I just love it. Not least because my real name is Carol (no, it's not really Working Mum) so I always felt it was a book written for me.

To start with my dad used to tell me this story as a bedtime story in the days leading up to Christmas when I was a child. I was scared witless by Marley's ghost and cried every time Tiny Tim died.

Growing up I would watch film versions every Christmas and particularly liked the musical version starring Edward Woodward as the Ghost of Christmas Present.

The first time we took daughter to the theatre was to see the stage version "Scrooge" two years ago. She loved it.

This year, I indulged my love of the book by downloading the audio book read by Tim Curry and have been listening to it every night when I go to bed. Authentic, unabridged and beautifully read.

So it was with some trepidation I went to see what Disney had made of it.

Had they changed the story?

Or sweetened it for children?

Had they introduced new characters?

I needn't have worried.

It was fab-u-lous!!

They stayed faithful to the book including using the actual dialogue from the book. The animation was superb and the effects were a visual feast. All my imaginings of the ghosts and their visitations were realised on the screen.

How did this film sneak in with little advertising or hype?

I shall be buying the DVD when it comes out and it will be a firm Christmas favourite.

Thanks, Disney!

4 comments:

The wife of bold said...

I love that Musical version the best too i remember him singing and dancing down the cobbled snow covered victorian streets...it hasn't been on TV for ages though. I haven't got round to watching this version as my sister told me it was a little too scary for the girls. Maybe i'll purchase the dvd for next year! Have a great New year and all the best for 2010! x

Hullaballoo said...

Excellent, it's lovely to find a new family favourite. I also enjoyed the old version with Alisdair Sym in it. It was so charmingly old fashioned.

Working Mum said...

Wife of Bold - it was quite scary, but luckily my daughter knows the story well and is at the age where she likes to be scared. Definitley one to buy for the future though.

Hullaballoo- I like that one too, I think that version was on tv this Christmas, but I missed it. The only version I'm not too keen on is the Muppet one!

part mummy part me said...

I loved it too. The 3D effects were amazing. Although, I have to disagree with you on one thing - I still think The Muppets' Christmas Carol is the best version ever. It's hilarious!