Sunday, 1 November 2009

Pelemy Polo

Pelemy Polo is my car. It's supposed to be "Penelope Polo", but daughter couldn't pronounce it, so Pelemy it is.

Well, Pelemy has reached a milestone.

She turned ten years old last week.

She went for her annual MOT and service.

She passed first time, as she has done every year.


She's not perfect, she has a few foibles: the driver sun visor falls off occasionally, the driver window won't wind down properly, the passenger wing mirror no longer heats up, but she's safe and she starts first time every morning. In fact, in ten years she's only needed a new battery, exhaust, timing belt, a few light bulbs and a couple of tyres.

People keep asking me if, now that she's reached the ripe old age of ten, I will scrap her under the government car scrappage scheme.

What?*!

Pelemy is reliable, economical and loved (see photo!)

She costs me nothing but the annual MOT and service.

Why would I send her to the scrap heap?

How wasteful is that scheme?

No, Pelemy will live on!


8 comments:

rosiescribble said...

Sounds like a much loved member of the family! Here's to the next 10 years!

becomingkate said...

I really loved living without car payments too!

Michelloui said...

I had a very misbehaving, ancient car that had no name until I drove up to my daughters nursery one day and when I walked through the doors I saw the nursery staff sniggering. They murmured, "your daughter saw you coming and said 'oh look, there's mummy in the f*****g car!' so we thought you'd like to know...' I turned many shades of red and tried to explain that I had actually called it a Funny Car one morning when it wouldnt start... So from then on it was called the Funny Car. Eeek.

rosiero said...

I agree. My car is around that age too. As long as it gets me from A to B, I don't care that it is not a Porsche or a BMW or has all the latest gizmos.

Expat mum said...

We have a ten year old car and a 7 year old people carrier/minivan. Both are working well and I'm so not into cars I just couldn't be bothered to look for a new one. Besides, there's too much need in the world to be buying cars when you don't need to.

Catharine Withenay said...

Oh, hooray! In our throwaway age thank goodness you aren't throwing this away! If it aint broke, why fix it?

rosiero said...

Pop over and see the award I have given you.

Reluctant Housewife said...

My car is almost 8 years old and I have no plans to upgrade, or switch up. We call it 'Po' after the panda in Kung Fu Panda (for no particular reason).