Tuesday, 24 November 2009

Nativity Nightmare

Now you know how strict I am about bedtime? Well, here's another story: I've just found out that as well as a 2pm performance of the Nativity Play, my five year old daughter has to do a 7pm performance!! That's right. 7pm!

I'd gone to see her teacher to find out when the Nativity was so that I could arrange for a colleague to cover for me.

"It's 2pm on the 15th and 7pm on the 16th" I was told.

"That can't be right" I said to her teacher. "She goes to bed at 7pm, you must mean the juniors at 7pm"

The other year 1 teacher was summoned to confirm the time. Yes, year 1 and 2 Nativity is at 7pm. I looked horrified.

"Yes, I know" she said, "They're fit for nothing the next day and it's the panto trip and party"

Then she added "And it's never a very good performance because they're all tired"

"Excuse me? They are too tired? Of course they are, they are five years old! So why do it to them?"

(Of course I just thought that bit, I didn't dare say it out loud)

I went home and looked at the calendar. Husband is away with work and I'm singing in a concert in Manchester. So that's that, daughter can't do the 7pm performance.

Secretly, I am relieved.

What a naughty mum I am!


14 comments:

Brighton Mum-Teenage Angst said...

Oh! Bad you! I used to love the 'naughty' mum moments.

Trish @ Mum's Gone to... said...

Are they mad? It's bad enough watching poor infants yawn and shuffle at an afternoon performance never mind seeing them drop off completely!

The wife of bold said...

7pm is FAR too late for kids what on earth are they thinking and on a school night? You do realise they won't belive you already have plans now lol

The wife of bold said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jen said...

Ours starts at 6pm and finishes between 7 and 7.30, that's tiring enough for them!

In contrast, my daughter's Guides doesn't finish till 9.15, and if you are the parent doing the run that week, it's generally 9.45 before you get home! Mind you that's a Friday but it does show the difference between what Y1s and Y6s can cope with.

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

It's bloody ridiculous!!! How you kept mum l'll never know...plar

Working Mum said...

Wife of Bold - I removed your last comment because you'd written the same thing twice - nothing sinister. Yes , it did occur to me that they won' t believe me now, but I don't care. At least my child will be tucked up in bed!

Expat mum said...

Re the Wife of Bold comment removal - I was hoping for a good old barny there. I've been arguing with a commenter on my Pond Parleys blog so I'm just in the mood for one!!!

Maggie May said...

5 yrs olds having to perform when they are tired. Whatever next.

Nuts in May

Maternal Tales said...

Crikey honey - I would have been relieved too (don't tell anyone but my 5 and 3 year olds are in bed by 6). And I'm ultra strict at bedtime and if they just so happen to still be up by 7 then I start getting very edgy. I think I would have hyperventilated had they told me Nativity was at that time. Might just have to go and check the timetable now...

Sass E-mum said...

Don't take any nonsense. That's lousy scheduling.

Kelloggsville said...

I would say "what are teachers on?" but you know exactly what they are on!! It almost doubles the irony that you understand school land and still believe it is mad!!

Stick to your mother instinct - strikes me you are doing very well with it so far!! I always seem to fold to the school's madness as I haven't the insight to be able to say "NO this isn't good for MY child" . Good for you, you know where your towel's at!

Crystal Jigsaw said...

Not at all naughty, just very sensible if you ask me. It's absolutely stupid to expect little ones to do that 7pm performance. I do hope the teachers won't be frustrated when the children don't perform at their best...

CJ xx

Working Mum said...

So it's not just me, then?