Tuesday, 17 November 2009

When you've got your nose the grindstone ..........

I don't normally write about the things that are annoying me at work; I love my job, I love the kids, I love my colleagues (well, not literally, but I do like working with the other members of my department) and there are always stresses and complaints in any job, you just have to get on with it. However, today I'm making an exception.

Now, to set the scene, you need to be aware that this time of year is the worst time of year in our school. There are Open Evenings and Parents' Evenings to attend (meaning 13 hour days), all my classes are doing Christmas Assessments (tests and exams) in the next two weeks, which need to be marked and recorded, and then I have 130 reports to write before Christmas. All on top of a normal teaching load. I also have to record grades and write reports on the new Data Management System that went live in school last week, so we're still getting to grips with it.

This is what I look like at this time of year:


Meez 3D avatar avatars games

(That's me on dinner duty in the canteen)

Okay, so it's a busy time of year. Fair enough. There is an INSET day coming up next week (to those who don't know, this stands for "In Service Training" and usually consists of useful stuff like Child Protection Legislation, Asthma Awareness, EpipenTraining, IT Training, Fire Safety talks, etc.) we could use it to have some extra marking time, to write reports on the new system with assistance available, to have important departmental meetings to review this term's initiatives.

So what have the "powers that be" decided that we need on INSET day?

An ex member of staff to come and talk to us about how great life is after retirement!!

Talk about rubbing your nose in it!





11 comments:

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

I think l'd take a sickie...what do you care about their retirement? ITs bloody years away!!

Trish said...

You were quite right to have a good rant about that. How ridiculous. Maybe the retired teacher could do a bit of extra marking for you if you ask nicely...!
(By the way, I also have a brother called Steve and his wife is called Kay too. And in my spare time I like to sing).
Have a fun INSET day.

rosiescribble said...

No that is just daft! Roll on the Christmas holidays. I can think of nothing sensible to say on this one. I have even more repect now for teachers than I did already :)

Kelloggsville said...

Duvet day time or "very keenly taking notes" (read: writing reports) at the back of the room.

Sounds like your management really aren't in touch with reality.

On the upside whilst there is a lot to do, it has to be done in a short amount of time which makes it all over more quickly!!!

Suggest a weekly one word blog of *sigh* until you are through it!

Good luck x

cheshire wife said...

Unless you are lucky enough to be retiring soon the talk about retirement will be irrelevant. Whether we like it or not, times are changing!

Mummy Cow said...

How ridiculous! Sit at the back, with your marking on your knee. Pretend to be taking notes. Eat chocolate.Be that naughty pupil at the back of the class.
MCx

scrappysue said...

uh - how NOT to inspire your current over-worked and very tired staff!

Maggie May said...

This is what annoys me too. They spend money on this type of stuff. You need a day off to catch up on the marking/planning. I'd take it is I were you.
I am off sick for two weeks. Pressure off. I didn't have the same responsibility as you, but was trying to please too many people & being expected to do too many things (that weren't in my job description!) whilst waiting for scans that could affect my whole life. No one gives a jot in the end.

Nuts in May

Catharine Withenay said...

Oh excellent! Is it possible for teachers to skive an inset day?!

Crystal Jigsaw said...

You look a lot better than me at the moment!! And I like FFF's suggestion of taking a sickie!

CJ xx

Felinedream said...

I know exactly what you mean. Roll on Christmas, I could use a holiday (when I shall catch up with my marking and lesson prep).