Monday, 26 October 2009

Lemon Sorbet Meringue Ice Cream Buttermilk Daffodil Citrus

I'm on the edge. The search for a pale yellow paint for the hall is getting to me. I've tried 20 different tester pots and two full sized tins and I'm still no further on. I've painted part of the landing twice and found it to be the wrong colour both times. Everything is too yellow, too bright, too white, luminous green, too pink, too brown or just insipid. If it looks okay in daylight, it doesn't in artificial light or vice versa. Nothing is a nice pale yellow in daylight and artificial light.

The pressure is now on because the plumber is coming next week to put a radiator in the hall and the burglar alarm man is also coming to fix and refit the sensors (I broke them when removing them for the plasterers).

I have to find a colour and paint it before they come, otherwise it will be Christmas before I'm off work again and can let them in.

I am now in a battle of wills with the squares of testers on the landing.

I find myself doing quick double takes (in the manner of a spy being followed) in the hopes of catching a tester unawares and finding it to be the right colour!

I feel like they are turning green just to spite me!

I think I am losing it.

15 comments:

Brighton Mum-Teenage Angst said...

I did comment before, but it seems to have vanished! Have you tried Farrow & Ball paints. They are a bit more expensive but, they have a huge range, with really good descriptions. But trying to find a yellow that won't go green in artifical (especially the low enegy ones) light is almost impossible. What sort of shades do you have on the lights? as I've found that changing the shades can sometimes take the 'greeny' hue from the bulb.

Maggie May said...

How about going for a different colour! Or having one made up. B&Q do that and there are far more shades to choose from!

Nuts in May

Working Mum said...

Brighton Mum - Teenage Angst - (Your first comment was awaiting moderation). I have seen Farrow and Ball, but given the area I'm covering I'm trying to find Dulux, Crown or B&Q or Homebase own brand paint to keep the cost down. I was thinking exactly the same thing about the lampshades though. At the moment there are no shades, just bare bulbs, but if I get nice bright lemon yellow shades it may help. I'll keep trying.

Working Mum said...

Maggie - I have my heart set on a nice bright lemon yellow. I've had three years of walking into the hall at the end of the day and my heart sinking (remember the scary axminster?); I want a happy colour. Also, the hall doesn't get much natural light so it needs to be bright and warm. Husband suggested having a colour made, but the problem is not knowing exactly what colour I need to look right in both lights and those made to order tester pots are very expensive (about £3 at time) so I could waste a LOT of money trying. I'll get there.

rosiescribble said...

Perhaps you should stick with magnolia!

Working Mum said...

Rosie - tried Magnolia!

gigi said...

I hate when that happens, hope it comes to you soon!

Brighton Mum-Teenage Angst said...

Sorry, have to jump back in here, Magnolia goes 'green' too...I've done that one too!

Muddling Along Mummy said...

I think Crown do a heritage range that we used that has a really good couple of yellows in - not too yellow but yellow enough. We found it a couple of months back for the play room and day room and it's really brightened them up

Also Kevin Mccloud has done a range for someone that has great colours in - B&Q stock it and it's not too pricy

auntiegwen said...

I have a yellow hall, I looked at the tin and it was Weld Yellow by Fired Earth, is that worth a try ?

Sass E-mum said...

Change the light bulbs.

Shhhh. I won't tell anyone.

Nunhead Mum of One said...

Instead of going for yellow, how about a creamy colour? We've got cream in our hall on the top half of the wall that LOOKS yellow in artificial light (we too have energy saving bulbs) and is still uplifting in natural (not a lot of natural) light.....we tried yellow but it made us look jaundiced and no amount of lightshades made any difference!

Will send you a picture!

Kim@EnjoyTheRide said...

Definitely not losing it. The quest to find the perfect paint colour is harder than the quest to find the perfect lipstick. I once painted a room a deep red that looked terracotta in artifical light. I had to live with it a a year. I feel your pain.

Working Mum said...

Ladies - thank you for all your help. Although I have had a little foray into the creams, I am continuing with my quest for a pale yellow. I have painted the little landing in "Daffodil White" this morning (which I previously dismissed for being too light in daylight) and I am waiting for it to dry then I will switch on the light bulbs and have a moment of truth......

Tawny said...

You will eventually see it, if not like the others have said, find something the colour you want and take it to homebase they will make it up for you.