Thursday, 8 October 2009

Going to bed with Derek Jacobi

It's not what it sounds like. I haven't got a fetish for older men. Let me explain.

A long time ago, in the olden days, when we had cassettes and Sony Walkmen (remember them?) I used to enjoy listening to audio books. On those evenings when I was too tired to even open my eyelids to read a book I would plug myself in and let the dulcet tones of Derek Jacobi and others read to me whilst I lay in bed. There's something about being read to that is so relaxing. Ask any child under the age of 10!

Anyway, with the advent of CDs and the rather more cumbersome Sony CD Walkman, I thought that audio books were just too expensive and gave up my habit.

However, I have just been given an i-pod touch for my birthday, audio books are available to download at reasonable prices (or a monthly fee at audible.co.uk) and guess what? He's still there!

Derek is back in my life, reading me tales of Brother Cadfael.

Small pleasures.

14 comments:

Ladybird World Mother said...

Ah. Heaven. My idea of bliss.x

Michelloui said...

I loved watching cadfael on tv and I sent my mom a set of the tapes many years ago and she loved them. Have fun and ENJOY!!!

Kelloggsville said...

Cadfael - love it

Sass E-mum said...

Phew. That's a relief. For a moment I thought you were falling asleep in front of In The Night Garden.

(Dammit, must just be me...)

A Modern Mother said...

Let us know how you like your iPod Touch... and your online books...

Moannie said...

I am going to ask the family for one for Christmas, my ideal sleeping draught.

Crystal Jigsaw said...

Enjoy yourself!! And hope you had a very happy birthday, especially with Derek...!!

CJ xx

Jacki said...

I remember Sony Walkmen! I thought I was SO COOL when I got my first one.

Sigh....thanks for the reminder that I am getting older... :-)

A Woman Of No Importance said...

Now I've got caught up, and I've missed your lovely birthday - That cake was amaaazing! And I'm so sorry to hear about your chest pains - Sometimes that sort of thing can be muscular, but I'm also finding that little panic attacks, though rare, appear to be another part of growing older (at least for me...) - I also experienced similar pains when dealing with what the doctor termed 'unresolved grief' around a year or so following the sudden death of my mum... Just thinking.

I love Derek Jacobi too, and you've made me think about a bunch of Penguin books I've got on CD that I've yet to listen to - Readers such as Juliet Stevenson... I must get on to that.

Love to you x

Casdok said...

Love the title! And what a great idea!

Polly said...

I have a good friend who just loves audio books, so glad that you are able to indulge once again.

Donna said...

Hello, came by way of Margot's blog...I Loved him in "I, Claudius"...Wonderful!
Have a great night!

Mummy Cow said...

Hi WM,

Hope you are looking after yourself and that your absence from blog world is because you are resting and not over-doing it.
Half term soon!
MC x

Tawny said...

I love audio books!

I can recommend Simon Schama, A History of Britain, read by Timothy West. It is spectacular!