Thursday, 20 August 2009

Working Mum Tip - Free Food

In these credit crunched times we could all do with a little financial break, so here's a WM tip - get some Free Food! Grow your own, beg from family and search the hedgerows!

We have a plum tree in our garden (inherited with the house) that has just given a bumper crop and we've enjoyed plum cobblers and plum crumbles galore.

I have a rhubarb plant that my dad gave me (for free) which we can start harvesting next year. Yummy rhubarb and strawberry cobbler!

My mum and dad have a bramley apple tree and have just given me a huge box full which I have wrapped in newspaper to last the autumn. They also have some blackcurrant bushes and usually pass me a pound or two.

And finally, daughter and I have just started our annual blackberry picking trips. Just find some open land with a hedge or a fence and you'll probably find some blackberry bushes. Even as a working mum, I can pick the blackberries in the still light evenings after work.

As an aside, if any of you saw that programme on Wednesday with the Duchess of York rewriting the Geography of South Manchester (Northern Moor is not in deepest, darkest Wythenshawe, she stayed in Baguley and she drove around Altrincham!) then daughter and I went blackberry picking round the back of Northern Moor, so even quite built up suburban areas have blackberries.

Just pick a load, rinse them, dry on kitchen roll, spread out on a baking tray and freeze for a couple of hours. Transfer to freezer bags and Bob's your uncle!



Apple and blackberry pie, blackberry and raspberry crumble, Nigella's Anglo Italian Trifle, Summer Pudding ............. mmmmmmmmmm!

10 comments:

Polly said...

oooo yum those berries looks wonderful.

Kelloggsville said...

I like a handful in my porridge..yum

Nicol said...

With our new house, we actually have a good sized lot for the area. Much bigger than any of our previous houses. With that, I plan on planting some fruit trees and berry bushes, yum!

I read somewhere recently that there is a variety of apple that you can store in a fridge up to a year. That's something! I've never heard of wrapping them in newspaper. Do you store them someplace cool or does that really matter?

rosiero said...

That plum cobbler looks lovely. I might try that over the weekend. My mum has a lovely blackberry bush in her garden and I brought some blackberries home last week and made a sponge topping to apple and blackberry with custard. Yum.

Working Mum said...

Nicol - wrapping them in newspaper means that if any do go bad, they don't affect the others. Kept this way in a flat fruit box in a cool place (I've got mine in the garage) they can keep for months (although we usually eat them all before they go bad, so I don't know how long they could keep)

Working Mum said...

Rosiero - thanks for that extra recipe idea, I'll try that one as well

PippaD said...

I do this too! Hee hee, free food!

family affairs said...

OOH they look lovely....as you were the only person who wants to know the answer to which animals poo it was I think I'll just let you know instead of do a whole post on it.....hyena poo! Because they eat the bones they're full of calcium. Well. I found it interesting anyway! Lx

Moannie said...

Oh yes, me too, harvester gatherer par excellence! A neighbours crab apples,wild blackberries, my Quinces and black currants and this year planted a Bramley apple for next years harvest.

The wife of bold said...

Your cobbler's sound yummy!