Saturday, 1 August 2009

Izzy the Fish


This week daughter went for an intensive week of swimming lessons at the local pool. She has swimming lessons every week at school and husband takes her swimming a couple of times a month (their "daddy and daughter" thing), but she didn't seem to be making much progress. She wouldn't put her head under the water and she wouldn't swim without arm bands. She was happy in the water, but not really learning to swim.

As a working mum, I couldn't fit in extra swimming lessons each week during term time (I had hoped the school lessons would be enough), so I thought the intensive week in the holidays was worth a shot. Here's how it went:

On Monday she was very wary.

On Tuesday she took off the arm bands.

By Wednesday she was jumping in and getting her head wet.

On Thursday she got her 25m badge.

Yesterday she got her 50m badge.

Yay!

(Many, many thanks to swimming teacher Jean at Trafford Leisure Centres)

9 comments:

Maggie May said...

Brilliant. Well done Izzy!
So important to learn to swim. I never learned and after two years trying in my late forties in adult classes, I gave up & accepted that you can't teach an old dog new tricks!

Really Rachel said...

She looks so happy - what a lovely picture!

Kelloggsville said...

fantastic , well done Izzy.

PippaD said...

Brilliant! Top Ender is having weekly lessons on top of swimming with Daddy every week and I keept thinking that some intensive lessons would do her good. You have just made up my mind!

Coding Mamma (Tasha) said...

Oh, fantastic! And gives me hope for Rosemary. She's not at all keen to get her head wet or water in her eyes.

Iota said...

A child is 17 times more likely to die in a drowning accident than a car accident, my children's swimming teacher told me this summer. So well done you for getting Izzy to learn. (I hope I've remembered that statistic right. It looks very high...)

Claire Sutton said...

Well done Izzy!!! I find that eldest son comes on a treat when we do holiday swimming ie every day for 1/2 hour.

In fact I've just been looking at the VacSwim programme that runs here in Oz. This is a Government sponsored programme that costs $1 per day for a 1/2 hour lesson. So eldest son can go on two lots of holiday swimming in the long Summer holidays and have 15 days of swimming lessons for $15! Which is about £7.

Difference here is that he has his lessons in the sea instead of at a pool!

sallymandy said...

Congrats to both of you. Your little one is so cute. I love love her red hair. :)

A Confused Take That Fan said...

OMG - that's amazing. My little girl is at the arm band no face getting wet stage. I can't believe she managed that in a week!! If only I lived near the Trafford Leisure Centre!!! Esp after reading Iota's comment!