Wednesday, 29 July 2009

Is it me?

Izzy had a playdate today with a girl from down our road. The little dot of a five year old was dropped off at our house and as soon as her dad left she pulled out her mobile phone and began playing with it.

Yes. You read that right. A five year old with a Samsung mobile phone!

She then sat in Izzy's Thomas the Tank Engine bedroom (commenting that she didn't like Thomas the Tank Engine because it was babyish) refusing to play with anything (Izzy has the entire contents of ELC in there so there wasn't a lack of choice) and said she was bored. This is the girl who has an organised activity every night after school. Izzy had tried coaxing her with lego, colouring and singing into the disco diva microphone and was getting frustrated so I intevened.

I coaxed the girl into playing with Izzy's farm, Izzy's kitchen, musical instruments, Guess Who? and then taught her how to play Uno (which Izzy loves and will play for hours). Each thing lasted about ten minutes before she'd had enough.

She then said she was hungry. I offered a fruit salad of strawberries, raspberries, cherries (with the stones removed), blueberries and grapes which I have ready in the fridge at all times. She just wanted grapes.

She then announced that she wanted to go home.

Huh?

16 comments:

Reluctant Housewife said...

Weird playdate. weird behaviour. It's not just you.

Nicol said...

I am seeing this more and more! It's so sad! When I was running my daycare, I had several kids who couldn't entertain themselves. I was determined that my child would be able to play by themselves and have an actual imagination. Livy does both and I'm grateful for it. She plays well with other children when we host playdates. Perhaps it's all the structured activities, forcing kids to grow up early and less time with parents (always at the babysitters, grandparents, neighbors, etc). You would be surprised at how many children would leave my house just to be sent to someone else's.

The wife of bold said...

ungrateful little $$$$, i'm guessing her parents buy her affection with material things rather than spending any quality time with her - it's definately not you, it's her parents! Your fruit salad sounds scrummy x

Surprised and Excited Mum said...

Can I come on a playdate at your house?

auntiegwen said...

I will send you my 17 year old, she'd love to play all those things and she'd eat all your fruit salad too.

ps as I type this EBD is out babysitting and her mate Steve is downstairs alternitively playing nintendogs with my youngest daughter and xbox with my son. Yep, this 18 year old lad is voluntarily spending time in his friend's house without his friend, go figure ! You're prob just 12 years ahead of yourself

rosiero said...

She probably wanted to get back to watch Desperate Housewives and have a glass of Merlot! Kids just don't seem to have any childhood any more!

Who's the Mummy? said...

I think one of the hardest skills for kids to learn is how to amuse themselves - it sounds as though the little dot has never had the opportunity to learn how to just play, if she's constantly at activities. Sad. (also annoying!)

scrappysue said...

can i hear you say spoilt brat? oops - i suppose i'm not allowed to say that anymore!

so how about - overstimulated and bored. it appears we've bred an entire generation of them (with exceptions of course)

bless izzy for trying - she must have been so confused!

Maggie May said...

Some children have never learnt to play imaginatively. That is what happens when a child is moved from one thing to the next in an organized manner all day long. Never going deeper into anything & following it through. A child that probably couldn't play alone.
I feel sorry for that child.
I didn't have many material possessions but I considered myself lucky to have a good imagination & could amuse myself for hours.

Really Rachel said...

Oh how frustrating! Sounds like you and Izzy were the perfect hostesses. There's no pleasing some people!

SandyCalico said...

No, it's not you! Different strokes for different folks!!

Mrs OMG Pregnant said...

Seems this child may lack a bit of imagination.... that's what too many organised activities do for you in my humble opinion!

gigi said...

Wow, that's scary isn't it :}

Iota said...

No, it's not you. She sounds like a very sad little girl.

Hullaballoo said...

OMG! What a nightmare. The poor wee thing has probably never been given the opportunity to be bored. I'd have been tempted to frog march them to the park for some fresh air and exercise.

Studentmum said...

Not just you, I've had kids round before and all they want to do is put on a dvd or watch cartoons!
It made me reuluctant to have kids round who didn't play in simialr ways to the girls - barbies & endless made up games. Now I dread some of my girls friends coming round because they are familiar with websites that mine aren't allowed onto - bebo/myspace etc.