Wednesday, 10 June 2009

Working Mum Strategies - Dinner Parties

It's all busy, busy, busy in the Working Mum household at the moment. I've been marking hundreds of school exams and am now writing reports. Husband has commandeered the laptop for important project every night (managed to get it tonight while he has a break to watch the football) so I'm now trying to catch up on reading my favourite blogs. And I've got a concert on Saturday and still haven't memorised the Zulu Freedom Song (in Zulu, of course)!

In the middle of all the mayhem, husband invited some friends over for a meal last weekend - like you do!

Well, I love cooking and entertaining and, before daughter arrived, I would tackle elaborate recipes requiring a whole day in the kitchen. Not so practical now. So, I need a Working Mum strategy (this 'Have it All' dream only works if you take a few shortcuts). Now what I've discovered is, you can get a away with an easy starter and a one-pot main course if you wow them with dessert.


It's just psychology!

You see, since dessert is the last course, it's the one they'll remember, so it's worth making it special. But how special? Well, time and energy are still in short supply in the Working Mum house, so dessert has to be like my Christmas Cake; simple, yet stunning. And preferably one you can make in advance so you can make it when it suits you, not while your guests are sitting in the dining room waiting and adding to the pressure!

So I made this:






Unbelievably easy to make, yet left my guests wondering


"How does she do it?"

He he he!

18 comments:

The wife of bold said...

Wow - that looks delicious, i wish i wasn't so domestically challenged i'd love to be able to pull something like that off - the best i can do is cut every corner and purchase one :)

Michelloui said...

Multi tasking queen! This is a great post, found it listed on Red Teapot Diary and just had to have a look. Glad I did!

Maggie May said...

Ooooooooh! Brilliant photo. Gastric juices in action! Haven't had my breakfast yet! You are a tease!
How could anyone not remember that delicious looking cheesecake!
Don't know how you manage all your activities. The Zulu song sounds daunting. Hope it is easy! (I am sure not many people would know, if you slipped out the occasional wrong word!!!)

Suburbia said...

Recipe please???!!

Looks absolutely delicious. Can I come too? No pressure!

Working Mum said...

Wife of Bold - remember, I only have one child, so I do have a little more time to do stuff!

Michelloui - thanks for popping in, I hadn't heard of Red Teapot Diary, but looks like they've heard of me!

Maggie May - I'm having so much trouble learning the Zulu words, they don't even sound like anything I can attach meaning to to remember them. Help!

Suburbia - it's from BBC Good Food Magazine and when I wrote the post it wasn't on their website, but now it is, so I've put a link on the post (click on the name of the cheesecake). Have a go, it was so easy!

Kelloggsville said...

I'm going to have a go! Bet it doesn't look like the photo when I've finished. what a "wow" - fantastic women points for you. well done x

Catharine Withenay said...

Oooh! Yummy!!

My problem with posh dinners is my inability to plan ahead. Would I have amaretti biscuits available? Or raspberries/strawberries/etc.? No - far too disorganised.

Then again, at the moment I barely have a kitchen: it is a great excuse!

rosiero said...

I was just going to ask for the recipe but I see you have covered that point already. It looks delicious. How do you cope with exam-marking and concerts as well as everything else?!!

rosiescribble said...

I love the fact that husband invited friends round for dinner at such a hectic time. Hilarious! Not sure I should be laughing though.

Coding Mamma (Tasha) said...

Wow! Stunning. And reminds me that I'm supposed to be making cheesecake at some point today.

Crystal Jigsaw said...

I can't tell you how good that looks because words aren't enough, I need to taste it first...

CJ xx

The Dotterel said...

Mmmmm!

Jacki said...

Oh man....now I am hungry for cheesecake. Good thing I have the ingredients....but bad that I don't have the motivation.

mr-stu said...

Same here with reports Mrs Stu has just finished all of hers for school, and now she is looking forward to her summer hols!

scaryazeri said...

That looks truly stunning. I can't believe making something like this can be easy though! I bet you just say it is. :) But looks too perfect!!!

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

That is one stunning pudding! I don't have a sweet tooth so I am very neglectful of puddings for my guests - I tend to buy them rather than make them. A great cook is someone who does pudding well, the science is much more exact there. You must be a great cook!

sallymandy said...

That's gorgeous, and surely a keeper. I like your psychology--dessert is all they'll remember. Very clever!

scrappysue said...

looks divine!!!