Wednesday, 24 June 2009

As if I haven't enough on my plate ...........

As my last post suggested I have been extremely busy for the last few weeks. Also, husband has a big project on that requires him to use the laptop every night and every weekend for every waking minute, so I have been a bit out of the loop with the blogosphere and am now 378 posts behind in my Google Reader. I may never catch up. Have prised the laptop off him for 20 minutes this evening to write this post:

At work it's been all exams, reports, updating schemes and resources for next year, visiting children on Work Experience, giving 'taster' lessons to Year 5's, scoring for Sports Day and an INSET day.

Now there's a story.

The INSET day was on ICT training and, as one of the members of staff who is quite au fait with a computer, I already knew everything that was being taught that day, so guess who volunteered to step into the breach when one of the trainers had a last minute emergency?

Yes, that would be me and my big mouth.

So I had to prepare a session on "Creating Interactive Resources for use in the Classroom" and then teach it to 60 members of staff (including the Headmaster, so no pressure there, then!) over four sessions in one day. Why? Why? Why did I do that?

Anyway, I chose to teach them hyperlinks (yes, some don't know how to do this), Photostory (great for generating discussions in the classroom), Hot Potatoes (software for creating interactive quizzes) and lastly, but by no means least, the emerging educational use of BLOGS!!


Ha, ha! Me teaching people how to use blogs!

Now, how do I know about that, I wonder?


Meez 3D avatar avatars games

16 comments:

Mrs OMG Pregnant said...

how did it go???

Suburbia said...

Can you teach me 'Hot Potato' and 'Photostory' please?!

Soon be the holidays :)

Working Mum said...

OMG - It went very well; people said I should go into teaching!

Suburbia - No problem; thinking of becoming an educational trainer now, you can attend one of my courses!

Catharine Withenay said...

Always good to be teaching something you are an expert at!! Well done!

A Modern Mother said...

Good for you!

I help out at the school and it is amazing how much they don't know. Our head teacher will print out an email from me, write a response in pen, and send it back to me via my daughter. And we're in the heart of the Thames Valley. Amazing.

Polly said...

Yes i wonder!!!

Moannie said...

Um! Hyperlinks? Photostory? Hot potatoes? Duh!

Blogging? Here miss...Miss!

Casdok said...

Glad to hear it went really well - very brave of you. So are there any new budding bloggers??

Iota said...

Don't let them loose on the Mummy Bloggers...

Jacki said...

I can certainly see the merits in using blogs for educational purposes. Blogs foster creativity and community.

It is funny to think about how more technologically advanced many students are compared to their teachers. Teachers don't have the time to keep up!

Reluctant Housewife said...

Well you are an expert - at teaching and at blogs! It seems a natural fit.

PS: My reader says 975 unread posts... 378? That's lightweight ;)

Maggie May said...

I should think that you would be excellent at doing this.
The secret is that you are really interested in the subject and good at it too!

So are they all reading your blog?

Really Rachel said...

Well done you! Hope the end of term comes quickly - you'll be ready for a rest :o)
Tagged you over at mine - just a bit of fun if you're ever short of a blog post!
Rx

Working Mum said...

Maggie May - heavens no!! I have a blog about my subject that I write for my pupils so I showed the staff that one (it's on a different account to this one so that the kids, or staff, never find this!)

Half Mum Half Biscuit said...

Hi, I've quoted (and credited) a comment of yours over at mine, hope you don't mind...would love to hear more about the 'educational use of blogs' - seriously. Have you written anything on it or have many others???

ModernMom said...

Sounds like a perfect fit!!