Wednesday, 6 May 2009

Somewhere over the Rainbow

Gradually drowning in exam papers. Had another Parents' Evening last night so lost three hours marking time. Decided this evening that I can't do ten hours marking in a three hour evening so I've done three hours and I've given up. Rather blog instead. So here's what's been happening chez Working Mum:

A couple of days last week daughter said that she didn't want to go to school. This was quite unusual. I asked her why, but she just said, "Because I don't".

Eventually I got a proper answer:

"I don't like the boys. They're mean. They push me and they pull my pinafore. They knocked over my model"

Of course this was a bit of a generalisation; there are some lovely boys in her class, but equally there are some boisterous ones. So I just said that if anyone did anything that made her unhappy she should tell the teacher (I tried to keep it gender neutral).

A couple of days later she was talking about the boys again and I said, "What does Mrs Turnbull do?" (daughter's class teacher)

"She's strict with the boys" daughter replied.

"Well, that's good, isn't it?"

"No, she gives them chances!"

Sounds like daughter's the strict one!


Anyway, now that she's turned five she's started Rainbows this week (the girl scout group for ages 5 - 7). I thought it would be good for her and that she would enjoy it. She did.


"Can I go back tomorrow, Mummy?"

"Well, it's not on until next week, but yes, you can go back"

"Why are only girls Rainbows?"

"It's a club for girls. The boys go to Beavers"

"Well, it was really caring. I like just girls. Can I go to a girls' school?"


Hmmmm..........

Anyone got a good argument for coeducation other than "it's easier for you to go to mummy's school"?




"

13 comments:

rosiescribble said...

My five year old is anti-boys at the moment, she'd go to an all-girls school if she could. Although next week she'll probably be anti-girls. It seems to work like that with her. Hope Rainbows goes well. I'd love my daughter to go but she is relunctant to at the moment.

Kelloggsville said...

This is lovely, it proves that the 'safe girls only' environment that Guiding provides is there for a reason and it works on so many levels. Boys need the same thing too. But sometimes we all need to come together to learn how to work together. I would encourage her to see Rainbows as her GIRL time and just continue to support her as you are doing in managing the boys. I used to tell my daughter the boys who pushed her around the most liked her best they just didn't know any other way to show it!!!!

gigi said...

Well, those boys! What will we ever do with them??
That's cute that she is going to Rainbows.

Nicol said...

That's funny! I'm glad that she enjoyed Girl Scouts. I look forward to when Livy can be a Daisy in the Girl Scout Program here. It's odd that the names for the troops would be different when it is basically the same organization. It was all based on the same principles.

Maggie May said...

It won't be too long till she's shrieking with delight as she tries to escape the boys from kissing games.
(6-7yr olds!)

Strictly said...

Yay - you have a Rainbow! So cute.

Argument for co-education: unless she grows up to be a nun, she's going to be with boys/men the rest of her educational/working life so might as well get used to them now.

Jacki said...

HAHAH....I am laughing at the "she gives them chances" line. She is going to keep the boys in line when she gets older.

It must be something about girls their age, because Emma doesn't like boisterous boys, either.

Crystal Jigsaw said...

We have the anti-boys here too, often. Long story and "not allowed to say" but think an all-girls school sound wonderful!!

CJ xx

Moannie said...

I think there is for and against all girls schools. They certainly get more work done but it won't stop them talking, thinking or being with boys, nor should it. Boys can disrupt a class, but then again so can girls...Rainbow will be fine...she has spirit and can look after herself already. Next week will be different, I'm sure.

Iota said...

Co-education is an education in getting along with people of both sexes? Is that a good enough argument?

Working mum said...

Rosie Scribble - my daughter was dying to go to Rainbows because another girl in her class goes and raves about it. Does your daughter know anyone who goes?

Kelloggsville - good advice, we all need some time without the opposite sex, but need to learn to work together!

Gigi - obviously we give them CHANCES!! he he he

Nicole - yes, funny it's named differently, but lovely that it happens all over the world

Maggie - thanks for the warning!

Strictly - I think she might like the idea of a nunnery!

Ctystal Jigsaw - I worked in one for six years, it was lovely, this is why I can't come up with an argument against!

Moannie - you're right. Next week she'll be fed up with the girls!

Iota - there are arguments to separate children because they require different types of teaching to succeed. Having taught in a girls school and a mixed school I can say that teaching boys and girls together has an effect on the girls that isn't altoghether positive, but my feelings are that being together is more 'normal'.

Maternal Tales said...

Aah bless her - I totally understand what she's saying because my eldest daughter is in reception class at school too and she says that she just plays with the girls because the boys are a bit 'rough'. She hasn't asked to go to an all girl's school yet..not quite sure what I'd do if she did ask...don't think we could afford one! Having said that, I went to an all girl's school from the age of 7 and loved it...

scrappysue said...

tough one! co-eds certainly help the sexes mingle and be comfortable with each other. she's a smart one tho!