Tuesday, 26 May 2009

Can any Mother help me?

I can't remember which of my bloggy friends recommended this book as it was so long ago, but I noted it, bought it and have now read it:



In the course of writing her Masters Degree thesis, Jenna Bailey was rooting around in the Mass Observation Unit and there she found a gem of social history. She collected together articles and letters from a group of women brought together by a cry for help in Nursery World magazine in the 1930s. Answering an advertisement for friendship from a lonely and isolated mother they formed a secret club, the Cooperative Correspondence Club, writing a secret magazine of articles on a myriad of subjects. The disparate group covered different ages, classes, religions and backgrounds yet they had one thing in common; a desire to express themselves in the written word. The magazine was circulated betweeen themselves with readers adding comments to the articles proffering advice, support and encouragement (sound familiar?).

The collection is beautifully compiled and describes the lives of these women over half a century through motherhood, the second world war and the many changes of the post war years.

I wasn't sure I would enjoy a book borne of an academic thesis, but with the obvious parallels to 'mummy blogging' I thought I would give it a go. I was very pleasantly surprised. I read half of the book in one sitting!


Many, many thanks to the blogger who brought it to my attention (if you are reading this, please let me know who it was).

I thoroughly recommend it, so go on, click on the picture and order it for yourself!

13 comments:

ModernMom said...

Wasn't me but sounds fascinating!

Katherine said...

Hi
I wrote a post about it http://supplyanddemands.blogspot.com/2009/04/books-ive-nearly-read-or-you-yes-you-at.html
So, not sure if it was me or not but it could've been? It's good isn't it? I reckon those women would have LOVED blogging!

gigi said...

Nope, me neither. Sorry.

Reluctant Housewife said...

Just requested it from the library. It sounds great, can't wait to read it!

Jacki said...

I am putting that on my "must read" list...sounds very interesting!

Kelloggsville said...

I remember reading about this book but also can't remember where I read about it. I'm sure I read a write up/review in Psychologies Magazine. I added it to my Amazon Wish-list but haven't got round to buying it yet. I've just finished Nella's Peace. I will now get this one. Sorry to ramble and not actually help.

Expat mum said...

Yeah, me too - I mean I remember either reading about it or commenting on it, (haven't read it yet) but it's all a bit hazy.

Polly said...

It sounds fantastic - another one to add to the list.

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

I wrote abut this way back..but then a few bloggers have so could have been any of us....it was delightful.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

I never heard it either. Thanks for the suggestion.

Suburbia said...

Sounds a good read, I may 'click'!

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

I've had a lovely time catching up with you - sorry to have been away for so long. This sounds a fascinating book - could be my next read. (And you're right, there are similarities with Blogging.) I wonder if you're on holiday yet - if so, have a good time. M xx

Working mum said...

FFF - I've a feeling it was your blog I saw it on; thanks for the recommendation.