Wednesday, 8 April 2009

Working Mum's Guide to TV Watching

Last night husband announced that he was going to watch the football on the big TV in the lounge. Apparently, I had no choice because I' m usually at choir rehearsals on Tuesday evening so shouldn't even be in the house. This is his time and he watches the football.

"Okay" I said, "I'll put a couple of episodes of 'Lark Rise to Candleford' on DVD and watch them upstairs"

I put a blank DVD in the machine and proceded to format it and download the programmes onto the disc.

"The football!" he shouted as I changed channels to work through the menus to download to DVD.

I finished my stuff and put ITV back on, then I looked at the Radio Times.

"Ooo, there's a 'Marple 'on in 10 minutes" I said, "I think I'll record that"

I then went to 'Guide' and proceded to set the recorder to record Marple.

"The football's started!" he said, getting exasperated.

I put ITV back on, took my DVD out of the machine and went upstairs. The DVD didn't work in the TV upstairs.

"I must have done something wrong" I thought and toddled downstairs again to rerecord it.

I changed the TV to the DVD recorder and started to download again.

"THE FOOTBALL!!" he practically screamed.

"Okay, I'll put ITV on the DVD channel" I said and did so. While it was downloading I went into the kitchen to make a cup of tea.

"WHAT'S HAPPENING?" he shouted from the lounge, "IT'S CHANGED CHANNELS!"

I walked into the lounge to find the TV on ITV4, not ITV.

"Oh, it's changed itself ready to record 'Marple' " I said (I'm the only one who understands technology in our house)

"I give up" he said, and went upstairs to watch the football.

I lay full length on the comfy sofa with my cup of tea and two Hob Nobs watching 'Lark Rise to Candleford' on the big TV:


Meez 3D avatar avatars games

Mission accomplished!
(He he he!)

12 comments:

Tara@Sticky Fingers said...

You crafty crafty so and so.
I am so using that one next time the sport is on (it's rugby in this house).
Nice going!

mr-stu said...

Oh your poor husband I know here he is coming from and feel immense sympathy for him! You need to understand that football is our time to relax and enjoy other people running around exercising that we don't have to do!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Girl, do I feel ya. I'm not a TV person, but when it IS on, sports is on. OY.

Maternal Tales said...

I have to say I'm a tad confused about the whole technology thing here...but what about getting two Sky boxes and then you can both watch different channels in different rooms? Just a suggestion...

Mean Mom said...

Good one! Don't blame you in the least. Student son is a sports fan and like to take over the tv, when he is home from university. I put up with it and keep him company, though, cos I miss him, when he's away!

Claire Sutton said...

Well done you!

sallymandy said...

Oh, so funny. Is it worth having all this technology when we get so attached to it? My hubby and I have gone around and around for well-nigh 16 years over such issues. Your posts are always so funny. Thank you...

Moannie said...

Whose a clever girl then?

Crystal Jigsaw said...

Football has a lot to answer for. IT really annoys me when they stick it on instead of Corrie or something. And I don't even watch Corrie!!

CJ xx

Suburbia said...

Fab stratergy, well done!

Working mum said...

Maternal tales - we have two tellies one in the lounge and one in our bedroom, both with freeview and DVD players (he's not allowed Sky - far too much football!!), but we fight over who watches the big one!

Polly said...

Well done. I can totally commiserate. My husband often tries to kick me to the smaller TV so he can watch his beloved sports channels, I stand firm though.