Friday, 10 April 2009

Screw your courage to the sticking post, WM!

Well, I have finally broken up for Easter and, as usual, I find it hard to adjust from term time to holiday time. This afternoon daughter has gone to church with MIL and husband is going playing football. Two hours on my own. Unheard of! What shall I do? A cup of tea and an episode of Desperate Housewives? Tidy the garden and plant my peas? Lie on the bed and read my book? No, I haven't wound down enough for that yet. I need to be busy. I need a project.

I know, it's time to start on the hall, stairs and landing. After two and a half years of renovating this wreck of a house, we have completed ten rooms and now this is the last part of the inside of the house to be tackled. Huge job - replace spindles and bannisters, replace interior doors, replace radiators, replace architrave and skirting boards, replace broken floorboards, have new front door and frame fitted, completely replaster entire area, paint in a lovely light colour and then finally, a new carpet. What is stopping me?

I need to find the courage to attack .............. the axminster!!!!!!



This horrendous axminster carpet has been in the house for fifty years. It is old, threadbare and dangerously slippy on the stairs, but it is hanging on and refusing to budge. Obviously laid in the days before gripper rods, it is nailed to the floorboards with lethal nails that work loose and fly about with alarming consequences. Never walk barefoot in the hall!

It is going to be a battle of wills.

Wish me luck.

17 comments:

Moannie said...

Oh my dear, that has to go. Just take your courage in your hands [and a claw hammer] start at the top and rip it out. Bare boards would be preferable. AAAaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Veri words is : strolops, and that's how I feel about that carpet.

Studentmum said...

I think it'll be one nil to you vs the carpet - despite the nails. Beware of pale stair carpet though - I had a vision of pale beige and it's turned into a nightmare of greige nicely decorated with cat & daughter hair!

cheshire wife said...

I wish you luck with this project. We did the hall, stairs and landing last year. It took weeks and weeks and weeks. And that was just to paint the woodwork. We had a decorator to go the wall papering. It was worth all the hassle as it now looks so much better.

Enjoy your weekend!

Working mum said...

Moannie - I'm glad you agree on its horrendousness! Strolops is perfect.

Student Mum - good advice, I'll have to canvas what is the best colour for hall carpet with children.

Cheshire Wife - we're starting now and aiming to have it finished by September. I think that's realstic. I hope so, I can't stand anymore upheaval in the house!

rosiero said...

Our house had one like that in green throughout the hall and on the stairs, when we moved in. We kept it there, while we painted the walls and skirting, sloshed paint all over it and then didn't feel any qualms in ripping it up to make way for the new carpet.

Gary said...

Good luck!

How's it going?

Iota said...

Wow, that's quite some adversary!

mr-stu said...

We had that problem when we moved n a dodgy carpet and it was not long before the wife got angry a ripped it all up, teachers become wild in the holidays when they are bored!

MikeH said...

Good luck and be careful. Wear safety goggles; not because of possible flying nails, but because otherwise the pattern will burn your retinas out ;)

Polly said...

Wow - I have never seen anything like that!!!

Lots of luck with your new project Im certain you will win a million times over

gigi said...

Good Luck!!!!!!!

And Happy Easter!

Suburbia said...

You did that in your 2 hours alone?! you must be mad!!

Happy Easter :)

Catharine Withenay said...

That is one horrific carpet.

Reminds me of the ones in the house we are going to buy...

Have a lovely Easter!

Working mum said...

rosiero - that's why we've still got it two years after we moved in, it's covered in paint and plaster

Mr Stu - you are so right, I can't sit still for the first few days of the holidays, takes a while to readjust from the madness of school life

Mike H - safety goggles and dust masks have be derigeur in this house for two years; you should have seen the wallpaper we inherited!

Suburbia - it's the readjusting to holiday time that does it, I can't sit still after having every five minute slot of my life accounted for for the last six weeks! I'll calm down soon.

Catherine - good luck with that new house, if you need one, we know a good carpet fitter, plumber, plasterer, window fitter, alarm fitter, electrician, joiner, garden clearer, stump remover, kitchen fitter, tiler, roofer, ..... (can you tell we've had to a lot to our house?)

scrappysue said...

i actually had a sharp intake of breath. now THAT is some scary carpet!!!

(Very) Lost in France said...

Yikes! That's some Axminster. Bonne chance! VLiF

Reluctant Housewife said...

I am so happy you didn't choose that carpet. I really don't like it. Lol.

Good luck tackling it. Watch out for those nails.