Sunday, 5 April 2009

Ladybird, Ladybird

The day of the Ugly Bug Ball Assembly arrived. Daughter's class were very excited as they dressed up as minibeasts ready to show the rest of the school what they had learned about bugs.

Here is Izzy in her (quickly ordered from e-bay) ladybird costume:



Parents were allowed to go and watch a replay on Tuesday morning. Two colleagues kindly offered to look after my form and my first class for five minutes so that I could go.

It was delightful. The explorers walked through the garden with their magnifying glasses. The flowers said their bit and then stepped aside to reveal the insects. Each insect told us something about themselves.

Izzy said her part then sat down and beamed at me. I gave her the 'thumbs up'.

That's when I saw one of my colleagues at the side of the hall, doubled up laughing at me and my thumbs.

Well, I was a parent!

15 comments:

Studentmum said...

If Obama can do 'thumbs' and still appear 'cool' then so can you!

Half-baked said...

She looks great! And you're allowed to be a soppy mum - in the words of Cheeky, your colleague is a meaner!

Moannie said...

Sigh! I loved these moments.

rosiero said...

She looks a lovely bug!

Casdok said...

Sounds wonderful!!

Enjoy the eye - it dosnt feel to high when you are inside.

Nicol said...

How fun! She looks like she is loving it!

Hullaballoo said...

These are precious times. I always melt when I see the boys at assembly.

Maggie May said...

I bet she was the smartest kid in the play!

family affairs said...

She looks SO cute!! Lx

Crystal Jigsaw said...

How incredibly proud you must feel. A beautiful moment for you.

CJ xx

Mean Mom said...

What a great costume! Good old Ebay! It's great to see the children on stage, isn't it? I always found it very touching and a lot of the other mums obviously felt the same way, judging by the number of tissues that used to be whipped out, anyway.

There's nothing at all wrong with 'thumbs up'!

Maternal Tales said...

Aah - I think that is very cute you gave her the thumbs up - I nearly cried hysterically when I saw my daughter in her first nativity play - I was so proud!! Anything to make them happy and know that we're watching them is worth doing.

PS - I just love a bargain - bought two Supergirl outfits on ebay the other day. Loved them even more for being a third of the normal price!!

mr-stu said...

Seeing our kids performing in school productions make us so proud, last year what we thought was our shy 7 year old daughter turned out to have the biggest voice when they had to recite something in the local church for school.....she got a big thumbs up as well.

Polly said...

Hey Id have 5 thumbs up if I had so many! What a gorgeous little bug you have.

Pam said...

She looks adorable. Before you know it...you'll have a grandaughter that looks the same! I can't believe that my daughter's daughter is so much like her mother already at 6.5! Where does the time go??? I wouldn't trade one minute of those days when my children were young and full of enthusiasm for life! Enjoy every moment!