Sunday, 19 April 2009

Five minutes' peace, please.

Daughter and I have been off school for ten days now. We've had a lot of fun. We've been to Dunham Massey for a picnic and done the Easter trail. We've done essential shopping for summer school dresses (not so much fun, more whinging). She spent a day at the school Holiday Club whilst husband and I did shopping for her birthday: party bag contents, two birthday cakes (don't ask) and a new bicycle. We had an absolutely fantastic time at the IMAX cinema in Manchester (largest screen in Europe) watching "Monsters vs Aliens" in 3-D! We've gardened, washed the cars, baked cakes, made spoon aliens and drawn lots of pictures. I'm exhuasted.

And I've got another week of this!

Holidays used to mean rest and relaxation. Not any more. As a four year old only child daughter needs constant entertaining from 6.30am until 7.00pm. Even if she goes into a room on her own for a few minutes I can't relax. Whilst I was cooking lunch today she went into the lounge and by the time I followed her, all the cushions from the sofas and most of the contents of the bookshelves were all over the floor arranged beautifully around a blanket!

This afternoon husband went to the football (again) leaving me and daughter together (again). We did some gardening until she was bored, we washed the windows until she was bored, we played "Olympics". I pushed her on the swing. We played badminton. We planted seeds (well, she put a few trowels of compost in a seed tray and I did the rest). We blew bubbles. I did not sit down for four hours. Eventually, absolutely exhausted, I made myself a cup of tea and sat on the patio.

"I just want five minutes peace" I said, "Just play there with your scooter and football for five minutes while I drink my tea"

"Mummeeeeeeee, I'm bored. I'm hungry, when's tea? I need help with this. I've lost Tigger. Where's daddy? Is it tea time? Can I wash my scooter? I need a tea towel."


What am I going to do with her for the next week?


Meez 3D avatar avatars games

Aha!

I know.............

................ she's a dab hand at removing wallpaper!

21 comments:

Strictly said...

Tried and tested at our house (that you haven't already mentioned): swimming, ten pin bowling, English Heritage/National Trust sites for running around outdoors, forest trails. Hope some of those help.

Maggie May said...

Wallpaper that needs to be removed, I hope!
Little ones seem to get bored & need an action packed day, don't they?
Mind you, all my grandkids would be happy to sit in front of screens all day!
Two birthday cakes....... lucky girl. I expect she couldn't make her mind up which one?

Lucky you having another week off. Back to school for me tomorrow! I am quite into being home now! *Sigh*

Suburbia said...

She needs a friend to come and play. They will make a lot of mess but you may get some 'me' time, and then, when friend has gone home, you can play 'tidying up' together!

kimmiekat said...

I'm with you on this one. 5 minutes of peace would be so lovely. And I have 3 to contend with.

family affairs said...

Good grief. You'll have to slow down or you'll be exhausted when you go back to school! Get a book out, organise a picnic in the garden and refuse to go inside for the entire day. Lx

Kelloggsville said...

Removing wallpaper: lining paper: the thoughts led me here :

http://kelloggsville.blogspot.com/2009/04/pooh-tracks.html

especially if you haven't replaced that Axminister yet!

Hope the weather is good - it always makes school holidays that bit easier

Enjoy x

Claire Sutton said...

Oh it's not all it's cracked up to be, this looking after kids lark!

I have to say that a couple of hours each day at a really good kids park (like the ones at Chatsworth and Castle Howard, bit far away from your house I know but you get the idea!)tends to knacker them out a bit so that by the time we get home, they are more subdued than normal and are more willing to play in the garden or in bedrooms by themselves.

Although I can't remember the last time I sat down with a cup of tea quietly on my own without being disturbed but it will have been circa May 2007!!!

Reluctant Housewife said...

Heh. sounds like my daily life. Except I drive to the kids school and back three times a day as well.

Four year olds, eh? Busy little people.

scrappysue said...

well, i wanna come play with you too - it sounds like fun! eventually they DO learn to entertain themselves, but it's certainly a learned behaviour, and not playing with her 24/7 DOESN'T make you a bad mother btw :)

Working mum said...

Thanks for all the advice. I've arranged a play date with school friends on Wed at a play centre (so no mess in my house!), we're going to Styal Mill tomorrow morning (NT property), we're visiting Fabulous Childminder this afternoon, daughter's in Holiday Club on Thursday so I can go and buy a new suit for work and inbetween all that we're going to strip the wallpaper in the hall! (Yes it does need to be removed!)

I'm also going to take Scrappy Sue's advice - I will not feel guilty for sitting with a cup of tea for five minutes! :)

Laura McIntyre said...

Try getting Chicken Pox at the start of the holidays which means being trapped inside the entire time. Holidays are much to long

rosiero said...

Drop a packet of dry rice on the kitchen floor and get her to pick up the individual grains. That should keep her busy for 20 minutes or so!!!

Hullaballoo said...

I agree with the park idea. Pack a picnic and bring one of her friends with you. Even better, take the train there. It really adds to the excitement.

Hullaballoo said...

A trip to the park with a flask of coffee for you with a friend and her friend. Job done. Even better, take the train.

Nicol said...

I am catching up on your post from the past sevearl days. I have been on holiday.

Sounds like you have been super busy! It sounds like my days with Livy. Good luck!

rosiescribble said...

What a relief it's not just me who feels like this during the holidays!

Maternal Tales said...

Have you tried the cinema?? My 4 year-old loves it. Go in the morning and then yo can spend the rest of the day talking about it. And yes, play dates and friends round. I have this with my two girls and even though they've got each other they want me to play with them too. If I get 5 minutes for a cup of tea I'm ecstatic!! BTW, I thought it was birthday party this weekend. Am I wrong? Is it next weekend?

Working mum said...

Maternal Tales - yes, we went to the cinema on Fri to see Monsters vs Aliens in 3D at the IMAX; we often go to the Odeon Kids Movie on a Saturday morning - £2.50 to keep her amused for 2 hours, bargain! Party is this Saturday, we had to confirm numbers and pay last Friday, I think we're all ready (with extra party bags for two that still haven't replied) Will definitely blog about it!

Maternal Tales said...

Gosh I am silly - I did read your post!!! And there I am mentioning cinema when you even mentioned it in your post. I think I spent so long reading all the comments that by the time it came to posting my comment I had forgotten. Head like a sieve. Will try harder!!

Crystal Jigsaw said...

I'm sure I've been to Dunham Massey myself, it rings a bell with the list of places I've been. Where abouts is it?

CJ xx

Working mum said...

MT - don't worry about it, I'm sure I've done the same myself many times!

CJ - Dunham is near Altrincham. We're very lucky round here to have so many National Trust places: Dunham Massey, Tatton Park, Lyme Park, Quarry Bank Mill, Speke Hall, Rufford Old Hall, etc. Well worth the membership round here!