Sunday, 8 March 2009

A Choral Epiphany

Well, I survived Saturday. Thank you for all the suggestions - very useful. I renewed library books on-line, I collected cake and balloons and I made a dash to the garden centre and bought the very last Camelia "Ruby Wedding"!! (I'm never normally that lucky - someone was looking after me!)

Children's party was a nightmare - fifty kids in a church hall with one clown. Aaaargh! Did manage to multitask and mark a set of tests in amongst the chaos.

Home for lunch and to decorate cake and make cards, then I went early to the concert rehearsal and had ten minutes peace in the church - bliss. A quick puff of the inhaler and I was then ready to sing.

Whilst I was at the concert husband did washing and ironing. Bless him.

We're off to the Ruby Do soon, but I thought I'd leave you with a tale from last night:

During the concert I sang one of the pieces all the way through for the first time. We learn music very quickly and often sing things through completely for the first time at concerts. In fact, in one concert that we did at the Bridgewater Hall (which was filmed for the South Bank Show) we were handed a new piece as we walked on stage! Being in the Manchester Chorale is not for the faint hearted!


Meez 3D avatar avatars games

Well, this piece last night was a particularly challenging and difficult modern piece. The words were very strange with a lot of stuff about "exchanging foam" - I didn't really get it and not sure I wanted to.

Anyway, last night I had an epiphany.

As we left the stage I said to a fellow soprano and friend, Julie:

"Aaaaah, I know what that piece is about now. They're dead, aren't they?"

"Yep", she replied, "Another piece about dead people"

Is the musical director trying to tell us something?

8 comments:

gigi said...

Too funny, MAy he's preparing yall for his passing.
Hope things went well for the Ruby and Congrats for making it thru the children's party.

family affairs said...

Well done for fitting it all in and hope today is a really lovely day for your parents Lx

Hullaballoo said...

LMAO! I am so impressed with your multi-tasking. One would not expect an ephiphany on such a busy day.

The presents sound wonderful, great choice. I hope you all had a wonderful time at the party.

xx

The Dotterel said...

If you think about the number of Requiems (Requia?) combined with Christian works then probably most choral pieces are about the dead. And as for singing stuff for the first time in the 'performance' (so-to-speak) that seems to happen every time I dep at Lincoln! Choral Mattins is usually the worst.

Catharine Withenay said...

So impressed that you got through Saturday! I hope you enjoyed the Ruby do - good shot on the flower purchase! I'm looking forward to hearing you (and the rest of the choir!) sing at some point after we've moved.

And I loved your earlier blog about the coughing/snoring!

Mean Mom said...

I don't know how you managed to fit in some marking whilst the party was on, but well done! The anniversary present was an inspiration and singing without rehearsal sounds like a bit of a nightmare, but you seem to manage OK! Hope the Ruby do went OK!

Crystal Jigsaw said...

I've yet to go to the Bridgewater Hall. My mum has been very often and is dying to take me. A friend of mine sang there a few weeks ago, in a choir I think.

CJ xx

Moannie said...

I would so have loved to be in a choir, and to sing beautiful music, but I think I must be tone deaf.

You are a fine example of woman's ability to multi task, though marking papers under those conditions sounds a bit risky...did you double check them afterwards.