Saturday, 21 March 2009

Between the devil and the deep blue sea

Which is worse?

A Having to explain to four year old daughter that we can't go to the cinema as planned this morning because we have to wait for Royal Fail (not a typing error) to deliver Ladybird Costume, and then have to entertain her all day while keeping one eye out for Royal Fail van (because obviously postmen just look at the house and then quickly push 'tried to deliver' card through letterbox before I can get to the door to answer it)?

Or

B Having to explain to four year old daughter that we can't go to the cinema as planned this morning because I have to drag her wailing and complaining around shops to find items to make a Ladybird Costume and then spend afternoon trying to make Ladybird Costume?

I chose option A, have had sulky four year old to deal with and still have no Ladybird Costume to show for it!! Now have added stress of hoping Royal Fail will attempt to deliver on Monday (when I'm at work), trying to find someone to pick up the card at our house in the afternoon and go and collect it from Delivery Office and hoping that the jobsworths at the Delivery Office will let them have it!

Sorry to go on about Ladybird Costume thing, but I can't believe that one little letter from school can ruin our precious Saturday in such a spectacular way! Do primary teachers know that this is what happens when they glibly send out their letters? Do they have an image of fifties style mums with all housework completed during week spending Saturday blissfully making costumes with daughter from stock of items stored in sewing room? Ha ha ha!

However, we did create our own cinema: we drew the curtains, got two cartons of juice, tipped three packets of sweets into a paper bag (as pick 'n' mix) and watched "Ratatouille" on DVD. Not a bad compromise and cheaper than the Odeon.

I imagine I have a lot more Saturdays like this to come ............


15 comments:

Stacie said...

i hope the costume makes it to you...and FAST!

family affairs said...

How frustrating. Just as I had a virtually wasted day yesterday (mufti day for 8 year old) because costume not good enough for him and I promised to get hold of a mask and drop it at school....not a clever thing to have said. Lx

rosiescribble said...

Do they think you have nothing els to do all day but sit making kids' costumes? Humph. I'm annoyed on your behalf. Good luck with the ladybird!

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

gosh, have just read your last few (missed) posts whilst eating my lunch sarnie and yes l know its 4.45, but thats me!
.
Youve been stressed too....poor you.

Studentmum said...

'Do primary teachers know that this is what happens when they glibly send out their letters? Do they have an image of fifties style mums with all housework completed during week spending Saturday blissfully making costumes with daughter from stock of items stored in sewing room?'

Of course they do - They also assume every parent has an art degree or a sewing qualification and that if you volunteer to make your own child's costume you will 'happily' make some for the kids whose mums are cleverer than me at getting out of it in the first place! - don't get me started on our primary school ....

Half-baked said...

You need a back up plan. I suggest a red t-shirt and black fabric circles glued onto it - if you can't get to a fabric shop then buy a really cheap black t-shirt and chop it up.

rosiescribble said...

I hope it arrived after all that. I'm liking your cinema idea, might give it a try!

Iota said...

I am spending my afternoon making a barracuda with my 8 year old for an ocean project. 'nuff said.

auntiegwen said...

I went to see Grumpy old Women a few years ago and the scenario you've just described was their no 1 in their top 10 of things that made them grumpy !!!

Maggie May said...

That is a major stress producing condition.
They didn't give enough warning at school. And the Postal firm should not have accepted the order if the delivery couldn't come on time.
The whole thing at school expecting costumes to be ready so quickly, is unrealistic.

Woman in a Window said...

I think the teachers often can't see past the ends of their toes. And that's not blame. That's understanding.

All in all sounds like you had fun!

Pearl said...

WHAT?! They gave you less than a week and it wasn't enough?!
:-)
Should probably call the school - they've probably forgotten that they'd like 10 dozen cookies as well...
Pearl

Catharine Withenay said...

Aaaarrrrgghhh!

(in sympathy)

gigi said...

Oh, I am so sorry for your troubles. Gald you did get a DVD to help the wait go by better. Good luck with all of this mess.

Working mum said...

Stacie - so do I

Family Affairs - thanks for that, I know never to do that in future!

FFF = you have no idea of the stress I've had this week on top of this, but I may blog about it next week when I'm not so upset.

RosieScribble, StudentMum, Catharine and Gigi - thanks for the support

Half-baked - my back up plan is black leggings, a red t-shirt and some black card and double sided sticky tape from school. Unfortunately, daughter wants antennae, too. May have to blag some pipe cleaners and pom-poms from her teacher and attach them to a hair band.

Iota - barracuda? Good luck!

AG - glad it's not just me. But does that mean I'll still be harping on about it in ten year's time?

Maggie May - to be honest, the e-bay seller did say it would be in a box and it was sent on Friday 1st class, so I'm just reliant on Royal Fail, not the e-bay seller's fault.

Pearl - nice to meet you. I'm sure they'll ask next week for Easter Egg cakes or a Simnel Cake for the raffle, just wait!