Saturday, 28 February 2009

Saving my Sanity

I said I wouldn't do it. I thought it was expensive, over-the-top and quite unnecessary. How naiive I was.

That was before the thought of rampaging four and five year olds trudging mud into my new (beige) lounge carpet came into my mind. Chocolate fingers on my new (cream) sofas. Jelly in my (oatmeal) dining room carpet. Yes, I'm talking about ..........


........ daughter's 5th birthday party.

I have now seen the light - pay someone else to entertain and feed them, just provide cake and party bags and then go home to clean, quiet house.


Bliss!


Now, what to book?

Well, I've been scrutinising various parties we've been to this year:

Indoor play area - fun, but not really a party, just children playing individually, then lunch

Bowling - complete disaster, four year olds not bothered about knocking down pins and had to eat food on their laps. It wasn't pretty!

Farm - great time, but heavily dependent on weather; lots of mud and wellies and cold, wet mums!

Church Hall - still have to do catering and clean up after, too much like hard work

Pony Riding (I know, but she does go to a private school) - kids loved it, but limited number allowed and have to book a year in advance

No joy there then. So last week, while daughter was at another party, I talked to other mums and found out what they'd been to and one recommended a local garden centre with a steam train. We've taken daughter there for rides and for lunch in the restaurant. We've even been there at Christmas for the Santa Express. They've just started doing children's parties.


Perfect!


With daughter's love of Thomas the Tank Engine this looked good.


I rang the Garden Centre today, asked the details, checked the dates
and ...................

................... it's available!

Izzy's 5th Birthday Party is now booked!


Roll on 25th April!

27 comments:

Maggie May said...

Absolutely perfect! Every child's ideal party and no mess to clean up either!

The word verification is
nocryo so that just about sums it up!

auntiegwen said...

Ah the joy of birthday parties, how many have I had to do in my 17 years of mothering 3 children and the money I've spent !!!!

Can you imagine what shoes and handbags I could have had !!!

The Queen should give me a medal x

gigi said...

What a perfect activity for a party! I think is should be the best fun. Smart mom you are!

The Guider said...

Looks fantastic - you're setting a high standard there!

Frog in the Field said...

Sounds really nice, what a refreshing idea.
It's so hard to find something different that's not terrifying.
(and if you need party bags, please give me a call)
Frog
x

Really Rachel said...

That sounds brilliant! Genius idea. FP has just experienced her inaugural friend's-birthday-party, at the local soft play place. Chaos and chips but she loved it!

Reluctant Housewife said...

Yay! What fun.

Buddy had his party at the local science museum... It had a space explorer theme. They had a gallery guide do some space-explorer experiments involving liquid nitrogen (and an explosion!) then a tour of the space-related galleries then lunch and cake. It was a huge hit and so easy that it was actually fun for me, too.

Casdok said...

What a great idea! Sounds like loads of fun!

Iota said...

You know what I like best about that idea? It's that you are going for something that others will think of as a "boy" idea. All those little girls will have the best time, and they wouldn't have got to go otherwise. They'd be too busy at their "paint your face like a princess" party, or their "come and have a makeover in our beauty salon party room" party, or their "dress in pink and sparkly" party. I'm sure she'll love it.

I just wish I could get an invite.

Suburbia said...

Sounds great! I always get so stressed out about their parties!

rosiescribble said...

Looks great. Very relieved to hear you are not hosting the party at home. I made that mistake once - never again!

Nicol said...

Sounds like so much fun! Livy's 2nd birthday is in a few weeks and we are having a simple party at home. She is still too young for a large party with friends. Just family for now. Livy is excited about having a Tinkerbell party.

I'm sure Izzy is going to love her special day!

Mean Mom said...

That sounds really good and I can make 25th April, thanks. See you there. Save me a party bag! Are we having cake? ;0)

scrappysue said...

score!!!

Expat mum said...

Oh please can I send my 5 year old over, (I'll pack clean jammies too!) He would die for a birthday like that.
And cream furniture - are you mad woman?

Coding Mamma (Tasha) said...

Looks perfect.

Hullaballoo said...

A pony riding party? Oh my giddy aunt lol. Mine are lucky if they get given light up tubes in their
party bags.

I had YS's 7th party at home in December. The kids had great fun, but the next day I did cry for most of the day and feel exhausted. Otherwise, it was marvellous.

Saving sanity = good thing

sallymandy said...

Oh, sweet. Fifth birthday...what a sweet time. You've got all kinds of support for paying someone to do ANYTHING you need done as a working mom. Here are some other things I said I'd never do but ended up doing: allow Barbie dolls; allow fast food; allow sugar; allow television. There's the dream, and then there's reality.

Have a fantastic party.

sallymandy said...

Working mum: I forgot to say thank you! for the good ideas about saving posts so as not to lose them again. V. helpful.

Crystal Jigsaw said...

Brilliant news. Does Izzy know? I bet if she does she's terribly excited!

I never had a birthday party for Amy at home (tell a lie, only when she turned 1). Couldn't be bothered with the hassle so up until she turned 6 I rented out church halls and one year took about 12 kids to an animal sanctuary which went down really well. Unfortunately, Amy doesn't do parties anymore, she simply can't cope with the excitement.

CJ xx

Tawny said...

Sounds brilliant! Luckily K doesn't have parties now, i take her a a friend swimming instead. Much easier!

cheshire wife said...

Sounds brilliant!

blogthatmama said...

Perfect solution that you can enjoy too! Have a great day.

Nunhead Mum of One said...

I wish I'd had an idea like that! Five children in a cinema was not my idea of fun!

(Very) Lost in France said...

Ah, I took DS on Thomas for his 4th Birthday. I totally agree about paying someone else to do it all. So much more sensible. Here in France they don't have formal parties. Just a bunch of kids, lots of sugar and E numbers and no party bags. Bliss! VLiF

Jacki said...

Emma would absolutely pee her pants if she got to see Thomas the Tank! Especially for her birthday. Great idea!

Polly said...

Fantastic - what a great idea.