Wednesday, 18 February 2009

New Shoes




One shoe, two shoes
Daughter needs new shoes

Off we went to the new shoe store


We said to the lady

"She needs new shoes"
She said, "What do you need them for?"


We need shoes for riding scooters
Shoes for playing on computers
Shoes for singers and for tooters

I sell narrow shoes
I sell wide shoes
I sell 'too big on the side' shoes

Have you tried the Manchester store?

One shoe, two shoes
Daughter needs new shoes
Off we went to the Manchester store

We said to the lady
"She needs new shoes"
She said, "What do you need them for?"

We need shoes for walking places
Shoes for running and hopping places
Shoes that fit in all the right places

I sell long shoes
I sell short shoes

I sell 'not the size I thought' shoes

Have you tried the Altrincham store?

One shoe, two shoes
Daughter needs new shoes
Off we went to the Altrincham store

We said to the lady
"She needs new shoes"
She said, "What do you need them for?"

We need shoes for splashing in puddles
Shoes for mud and shoes for cuddles
Shoes that don't leave mums in muddles!

I sell high shoes
I sell low shoes
I sell 'I'm sorry, we've none of those' shoes
Away we went from the Altrincham store

I said to daughter
"But you need school shoes"

She said "I don't care anymore"



"New Shoes" by Working Mum
(with apologies to Jeanne Willis and Margaret Chamberlain)


21 comments:

cheshire wife said...

I had the same problem myself last week. It is unbelievable that the size that you want is always out of stock!

Tara@Sticky Fingers said...

Way to make shoe buying less of a chore!
I DREAD shoe buying now. It means I have to take my 3 year old who just loves those rabbit warren like corridors where they store all the shoes and runs off down them like a bat out of hell!

Tara@Sticky Fingers said...

Oh and my pet hate when buying shoes is when you ask for a size 6 and they come back and say 'we don't have that size but we do have it in a 5 or a 7"!
Madness

Suburbia said...

I hate the new shoes school hoidays thingy! Hope to skip it this half term

rosiero said...

Buying shoes in school holidays.... ugh! It's manic. Everyone else has had the same idea!

halfmarathongirl said...

Am hoping to avoid similar situation when Husband takes 8 year old out to buy new trainers in the morning - current pair having fallen apart playing in mud at a friend's house today. I wish him well. Me? I'll be safely at work - thank goodness!!

Mean Mom said...

I do remember how awful shoe shopping was with my lads, when they were younger, but it's always been worse trying to get them for myself. I rarely buy shoes, but when I do, I usually go to to one of those Shoe City places, where you serve yourself and I just try everything on, until I find a pair that fits. It usually takes hours.

Hope you get your daughter sorted out.

Love the poem!

auntiegwen said...

I empathise, as a mummy veteran of shoe buying, I empathise

How feckin difficult can it be to have shoes in stock to fit feet ???????????

I found Startright better for narrow fitting (our family nemesis) than Clarks x

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

dont get me started on shoes.!!!

sallymandy said...

Cute poem, Mom on Verge. The only thing I ever found worse than fitting children's shoes was fitting children's ice skates. I like that you put the experience to verse!

gigi said...

Good job, I love the book! Sorry shoe shopping went so bad. Good luck.

The Dotterel said...

Sounds like a fun way to spend half-term to me (*ducks*)!

The Guider said...

I had to buy new school shoes yesterday too, K had trashed the ones she got for September - £38 for hers and she hadn't even gone up a size! C's were pretty trashed too, but he had gone up 3 sizes from 10.5 to 12 so the £30 for his new ones was less painful. However, the knowledge that during the recent snow I was forcing his feet, clad in 3 pairs of socks to keep them warm, into size 9 wellies was definitely painful. SIX sizes too small before we even talk about the socks!

Tawny said...

Luckily (touching everything wooden within a 3 mile radius) K's shoes are still okay. I am hoping they will last til Easter.....

Maggie May said...

Is it my imagination or do shoes seem to wear out really fast these days?
Not many seem to measure the feet either.

Jacki said...

I hate buying shoes with our daughter, because she gets tired of trying on shoes, and then she doesn't want the shoes she wanted 10 minutes before then...

Studentmum said...

Wait until you try it with 10yr olds and teenagers!

Stacie said...

that is great!

A Modern Mother said...

Cute!

Jo Beaufoix said...

Awww that was very cute. I dread buying shoes for Miss E (8) and Miss M (4) as they are both E fittings. Except that apparently Miss M is now a D fitting. Nooooooo. Blumming shoes. (I love them really.)

Anonymous said...

Very nicce!