Wednesday, 4 February 2009

Confidence is the Key

Last night, at choir rehearsals, some of my fellow sopranos were bemoaning the fact that they were struggling with one of the pieces: a very modern piece by Eric Whitaker. One of those pieces where the composer is trying to be clever by fitting as many notes together as possible, creating a cacophony of sound with no harmony whatsoever. It is very difficult to find your note and you've no idea if what you are singing is correct.

"Listen", I said, "There are so many notes at once, it doesn't matter what we sing, as long as we sing it with confidence!"

Later in the rehearsal we approached the piece with renewed vigour and sang our hearts out (to quote Eric Morecambe "all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order"!)

"Well done" said our Musical Director, "That was much more confident than last week!"

Meez 3D avatar avatars games

(Hee, hee, hee!)

13 comments:

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

love the avatar, they are fun arent they but tricky to compose...

I like this post, tra la la!!

Sass E-mum said...

Superb. Confidence and a dash of chutzpah - what could possibly go wrong?

Maggie May said...

See how you are influencing every one! Keep up the good work!

gigi said...

So glad you are back to singing and finally starting to get over that crud you had for months. Confidence rocks!

Suburbia said...

Giggle! Good luck for the performance then!

Mean Mom said...

That's so true. I've yet to master the art of oozing confidence, when I don't know what I'm talking about. Unfortunately, I sometimes don't appear confident when I do know what I'm talking about!

Claire Sutton said...

I found that some pieces of Benjamin Brittain's were like that; so fast that you were just hoping that you were hitting the right notes but so crazy that it didn't seem to matter if a duff note got in there too!

Moannie said...

Well bully for you. I tried out for a choir once but I was so out of tune listening to all the others I was asked to leave. Not enough chutzpah obviously. Love the sound of voices blending but with modern stuff I feel like yelling 'Why is the Emporer not wearing any clothes.

Glad you are feeling better.

Expat mum said...

Well, he was right. It was much more 'confident' - maybe not in tune, but confident.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

How awesome is THAT! I would love to see a live performance! :)

P.S. If you have problems signing sir linky for PSF (it's a standard plug in that another party writes so I can't change anything), just leave me a comment and I will sign you in - no biggie. :)

Kareer Woman said...

Confidence is always a good thing, well, I guess we must throw 'balance' in there somewhere too! Enjoyed the post.

HER ON THE HILL said...

Ghastly. The piece, I mean, not your singing! Hate that modern chuck-notes-at-the-page-and-hope approach. I need melody and harmony every time or I can't connect.

Envy you the singing. Haven't sung for too long now.

Maybe bump into you at the Bridgewater Hall one day? Next time you are there, look out of the window at the bar and you will be staring into my husband's office! Sadly they are soon to be moving to new offices on Oxford Road. I am very upset. I liked having the boring accountants next to the cultural haven that is the Bridgewater. There was a nice sense of balance to it! (Oh, and I like the shop there too...)

Iota said...

Eric Morcambe was very funny, wasn't he?