Thursday, 22 January 2009

What's in a sentence?

Last night daughter and I were doing her 'key words' at the kitchen table. These are certain words that she must learn to read and she has them written on pieces of card (her teacher adds more cards to the bag as she learns them). I was making questions and sentences with them for her to read when she announced that she wanted to make a sentence.

"Interesting" I thought, "I wonder if she knows what constitutes a sentence"

She started picking up cards:

"I" "look" "for" "one" "in" "am"

"Oh, dear", I thought, "She hasn't got the hang of this"

"So what sentence is that?" I asked her, giving her a chance to rectify it.

She rearranged her cards on the table and announced,

"I am lookin' for one!"

Yep, I'll give her that!

11 comments:

Parisgirl said...

Goodness Working Mum, that's advanced; sentences at four I am very impressed. La Fille is nearly four and her French schoolteacher is astounded that she can even write her own name. It makes me wonder why everyone I know in the UK seems to think the French education system is so much better.

Rachel Pattisson said...

That's lovely! What a great age to be :o)

Maggie May said...

I still have Reception key words on my fridge door even though my granddaughter is now Year One. we arranged them in little sentences. I can't bear to part with them.
I can feel a post coming on!

Mean Mom said...

Let's face it. Izzy is outsmarting you, already. ;0)

The Dotterel said...

Creative!

cheshire wife said...

She will soon be writing her own blog!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

I think she gets a point for that train of thought! :)

Suburbia said...

Hey, you are lucky she's not dyslexic like my lot!!!! I can't remember NOT having all those card things!

gigi said...

To, to smart!

Stacie said...

lol. isn't it amazing to watch them soak it all up???

Susanna said...

Clever girl!