Friday, 23 January 2009

Photostory Friday - Lasciate mi morire

PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek


After missing choir rehearsals for the entire months of November and December and all the Christmas concerts (because of suffering from acute bronchitis) I have finally returned to singing in The Manchester Chorale.

I still can't sing properly because of continuing breathing difficulties, but at least I'm at rehearsals, joining in, being sociable and enjoying the music. I feel like I have my life back!

This term we have another appearance on the BBC's Daily Service, a performance of "Carmina Burana" (the Old Spice advert for those old enough to remember), a St George's Day Gala at the Bridgewater Hall and a "Spring Serenade" in a local church with a varied programme from Mendelssohn to Cole Porter. However, my favourite piece in our repertoire at the moment is Monteverdi's "Lasciate mi Morire":



Absolutely divine music. Exquisite chords that just make your heart ache.

Evocative Italian words that drip off your tongue as you sing them.

Music for the soul.

Just don't read anything into the title!

("Let me die")

8 comments:

Maggie May said...

Glad you don't mean the words! LOL
So pleased that you are back to singing and back to PSF.
My voice seems to be shot to pieces ..... due to age, I think, which is a real shame.Singing was always a great joy to me.
So I can imagine how you must have been feeling, being a young person and affected by illness. Hope you soon get back to normal.
Good post & photo.

The Dotterel said...

We did that several times last season, and I couldn't for the life of me (no pun intended!) get to grip with it (the Monteverdi, that is). Seems so full of self-pity, somehow. Or maybe that was our performance!

Mean Mom said...

After my recent post, it's no good trying to pretend that my taste in music is sophisticated! Old Spice advert - great, otherwise Cole Porter is much more 'me'!

Sorry about the bronchitis. Singing is a great pleasure. I hope that you can join in again, soon.

A Woman Of No Importance said...

I envy your singing talent, and I am so pleased that you are back doing what you love - Watch the breathing difficulties 'though - Get everyone else to do the dishes, and tell them you're saving your artistic energies!

Tiaras and Tantrums said...

hey - I haven't seen you in awhile!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Words are so overrated anyway, right? I, too, am so envious of your talent!

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

I love Carmina Burana, whats not to like....
I shall try and listen in..

Sass E-mum said...

Great photo of sheet music.

So glad you are getting your groove back.