Friday, 30 January 2009

Photostory Friday - Biscuit Bear

PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek



Last week daughter got this book from the library:

In the book a boy makes a biscuit bear that comes to life and wreaks havoc in the kitchen at night making lots more biscuit bears.

Of course she wanted to make biscuit bears.

We didn't use our usual gingerbread recipe this time, instead we used a recipe of my grandfather's for what he called "German Biscuits":

5 oz butter
3oz sugar
8 oz SR flour
one egg yolk

(Usual method for making biscuits and 15 - 20 mins at 170 degrees)

He used to sandwich two together with jam and then ice the top one. I have seen the recipe in an old cookbook, but described as "Imperial Biscuits". German? Imperial? Why? If anyone knows the origin of these biscuits, let me know.

Anyway, not having any bear shaped cutters I had to make my own bear template from cardboard and use it to cut out the bears. This takes ten times as long as using a cutter - I don't recommend it. After they were baked and cooled she set about decorating them in her usual inimitable fashion.

There was "Alien Bear" (look at the eyes!):


"Cool Dude Bear" (with the sunglasses):


"Disco Diva Bear" (who had fallen into a vat of sprinkles):


and "Potty Training Bear":

(Sorry about that one)


And what did daughter look like after all this decorating?

What do you think!?


19 comments:

The Guider said...

Fab pics :)

auntiegwen said...

We call them Empire biscuits in Scotland, I absolutely love them, esp M and S ones with glace cherries on top.

Catharine Withenay said...

Fantastic! Love the creativity - and the mess!

Catharine Withenay said...

In the 1600s 'Germany' was called the Holy Roman Empire, ruled by an Emperor. Hence not impossible to have Imperial biscuits coming from there.

Or, of course, they are only measured in inches.

Maggie May said...

Oh my....... your daughter really enjoyed both the cooking and the eating by the looks of her!
Brilliant pics!

Moannie said...

Do you realise you have upped the obesity rate with this post? I for one am heading for the kitchen.

Coding Mamma (Tasha) said...

They look delicious and what fun! R always eats the flour and butter before it's even mixed together when we make biscuits. Ew! And she is always covered from head to toe in flour - then again, so am I!

Lovely pictures.

Rachel Pattisson said...

Loved that! Really laughed at 'Potty Training Bear'! Can't wait til FP is into baking.

Kimber said...

That is so funny. Love the potty training one.

gigi said...

I LOVE IT!! They are so cute and Izzy is precious with that chocolate face! Now I want to read the book and bake some little men.

Reluctant Housewife said...

I love that last picture - chocolate smiles are the best!

Fun post!

Tiaras and Tantrums said...

fun times!

A Woman Of No Importance said...

Beautiful pics, tell such a tale - A wonderful insight into cardboard cookie cutter heaven!

p.s. For the record, women can never have too many handbags, particularly one so versatile - spring/summer/autumn seasons as that one!

Hullaballoo said...

Oh, that's inspired me to go out and buy some cookie cutters, the kids love making biscuits like these. Great photos, by the way.

Chris said...

That's what I look like any time frosting is in the vicinity.

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Being American,I had to think twice before I realized that you meant what we call cookies! :D Looks like a good time was had by all. I just might have to give your recipe a try. The Potty Training one is hilarious! :D

scrappysue said...

i'm still laughing at that last photo!

number 1 - i WANT one of those cookies - NOW.

number 2 - THAT FACE!!! so cute

Mean Mom said...

Great photos! The biscuits look delicious and I could just eat one. I think that your face probably looked like that, too, but that you are just too embarrassed to post the photo. ;0)

Polly said...

wow you did a great job with the template and I admire your patience.

The biscuits look great, might be time for me to get my cookie cutters out!