Sunday, 25 January 2009

A Momentous Day

It feels like a momentous day in the Working Mum house and so I have to blog about it.

Daughter has been doing so well with her reading that I thought it was time for her very own read yourself book. I know she gets a reading book every other day from school, she reads it, I comment in her reading record and it goes back, but they are from a reading scheme and it isn't quite the same as having your own story book that you can read. So today I perused the read yourself books in WH Smith and after much deliberation I bought her this:

It seemed to have words that she knew, it was a familiar story and it had beautiful illustrations.

I brought it home and presented it to her, thinking that she would love it.

She was nonplussed.

So I left it on the kitchen table; no pressure, just visible and tantalising.

At tea-time she asked, "Mummy, can I read my book to you?"

"Of course you can"

She read the book to me, with expression and great excitement when the wolf couldn't blow the brick house down!

She was so proud of herself!

I was so proud of her!

It feels like the start of a lifetime of reading for pleasure.

Momentous day!

15 comments:

The Guider said...

that's brilliant, well done her! C isn't there yet, but we're getting there...

Ladybird World Mother said...

That is so so exciting... congratulations to you both! And many happy reading hours too...x

Suburbia said...

How wonderful.........enjoy :)

The Mom Bomb, a/k/a Folksy Mama said...

No pressure, just leaving it out on the table. Hmm, I'll have to try that one. Nice work, Mom. And nice work on the part of your daughter!

auntiegwen said...

It's a fab feeling when they manage it for themselves, I always think enjoying reading is like a passport out of boredom.

rosiero said...

Lovely. With that small step, she's on the ladder to finding out about the world!

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

Its so exciting when these milestones are met..and you created a new memory for yourself and hopefully one fr her also...and if you print your posts out..she will read about one day!!

Maggie May said...

She sounds a really good reader and you must be really proud of her. The book sounds ideal and beautiful pictures help to make the story appealing.

Iota said...

That's fantastic. What a milestone!

Have you come across the alternative version of the story: the Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig? It has been a favourite for many years in this house.

I've also recently seen a version which is about the fourth little pig, who is a girl, who finds her three brothers inside the brick house so scared that they never go out, living a miserable incarcerated life. She is the heroine of the piece, who gives them confidence, and frees them.

Single Parent Dad said...

Fan-ruddy-tastic.

I had a momentous reading day too. I had to read to all the kids at the playgroup. Haven't been that scared for a while.

Coding Mamma (Tasha) said...

Wow! Congratulations to you both. I cannot wait to experience that moment, myself. Reading is such a big thing for me (and hubby) that I think it will feel more momentous than first words, first steps, first nappyless day, etc.

Moannie said...

A momentous day indeed. I remember my very first book...from seventy years ago. Rupert Bear.

Mean Mom said...

Reading is such a delight. It also helps with grammar and spelling. How fantastic that Izzy has made this discovery at such a young age.

(When I helped with reading at the local primary school, I hated to see some youngsters struggling with it. It was heart breaking.)

A Confused Take That Fan said...

Amazing! It really feels like they are unlocking a special world doesn't it? I may have to go and get that for my daughter who has just started reading too!

Melipop said...

Wow, that's lovely! Not just a cool reader but a potential performer too!! Well done Izzy