Monday, 12 January 2009

And here is the news ......

This morning when I dropped daughter off at school she was dying to show me her 'news' book. It's an exercise book in which the children write about something they've done recently (it's the start of creative writing). A little difficult when you are only four, just learning to read and can't spell words like 'aquatic centre'. However, she does her best and illustrates her work beautifully with pictures of mummy looking cross and daddy playing football. (Out of the mouths (or pens) of babes ......)

Anyway, she wanted to show me what she'd written about Christmas. I was eager to see what she had enjoyed the most. Especially as I had organised so many interesting and fun things for us do to over the festive season.

So, what was daughter's memorable event of Christmas?



Was it ........

........ visiting the German markets in Manchester?

No


Was it ........


........ going to the Halle Family Christmas Concert at the Bridgewater Hall?


No


Was it ........


........ going for a ride on the big wheel and seeing great views of the city?

No ......


Was it ........



........ seeing Mary Poppins at the Palace Theatre?

No

Was it ........



.... Henry, the mild, mannered janitor?

(Ooops, got a little carried away there!)


No.


What was daughter's memorable event of Christmas?


I'll tell you.

It was this:




Meeting Moonchester at Manchester City's Junior Blue Christmas Party.

There is no hope.

21 comments:

The Guider said...

it's always the way!

Craig McGinty said...

Mission accomplished ;-)

Working mum said...

Thanks Craig - I blame you and Andy entirely!!

A Woman Of No Importance said...

Children are a great comfort in your old age - and they help you reach it faster, too. ~Lionel Kauffman

Rachel Pattisson said...

That's soooo funny! And typical!! lol :o)

The Dotterel said...

Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor! That takes me back a bit (well, a lot)!

Anyway, could be worse. I once wrote in my news back (centuries ago) that my dad had had to go to court and that it was all about stealing a bike. (He'd been on jury service, and my mum and dad were mortified when they read it!)

auntiegwen said...

I empathise, in 2004 my children spent 3 weeks on holiday in Florida seeing every cartoon character known to man and mummy and daddy spending 8 feckin grand ( I know we were pure mental but he'd had a big bonus that year, holiday of a lifetime blah blah blah) on said holiday.

On return to school, what did they write about ? sleeping in a tent in the back garden !

Maggie May said...

That was funny! I'd have chosen the wheel, I think!

Mean Mom said...

What a little treasure! She's so easy to please! There you are, you see, you didn't need to be rushing about everywhere and spending all that money. ;0)

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

Oh dearie me!! LOL

Pam said...

How funny - it happens all the time. Once, after going to much trouble and expense to give my children a wonderful Christmas - the thing they enjoyed the most was a large empty box!!! Go figures. Now...about that messy kitchen. Very rude!

Tara@Sticky Fingers said...

So funny!
My friend spend a FORTUNE on her only son this Christmas and when he went back to school the show and tell was 'your favourite present' and all he talked about was something that had cost her £2.50 from Tesco!

Jacki said...

It is funny to see the differences between what we adults find exciting and memorable, and what children do.

rosiero said...

Lol. They always latch onto things you find the least important!

Moannie said...

So typical, but heavens she had a lot to choose from.

Ms Wiz said...

Its like when they ignore all their pricey presents & play nonstop with the puzzle from the cracker!

blogthatmama said...

I'd have gone for Mary Poppins. At least my belief that daughters equal no football has been shattered!

Polly said...

Bless her, well you can't say she isn't honest can you. I bet all those things were exciting, in fact maybe she was so bamboozled she just didn't know what to pick!

caroline said...

Great story!I'm a teacher too and reading your blog I think you might be interested in a company I run which produces reading books for young children combining key words and your own digital photos. Have a look and let me know what you think.
www.love2read.co.uk

Stacie said...

hahaha, of course...and her favorite present was probably the box it came in...

Little Brown Book said...

Hahaha 'Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor' made me crease up! And took me right back!

I think I would have chosen the German market but then I am 32 and - by family default - a ManU fan ;-)

Love your blog Working Mum - I'm doing some work with parent bloggers at the moment and would love to have a chat. Do drop me an email if you get chance =)

Kerry @MLBB