Tuesday, 30 December 2008

Thanks for trying


In our region the analogue TV signal is being turned off in November 2009. This is a difficult concept for some of the older generation including my MIL. After years of throwing money away on renting an ancient TV, she bought a digital TV in Summer which I set up for her, but she has stuck rigidly to watching and video taping analogue TV.

Being the only technogeek in the family, I have tried to get her ancient video recorder to record digital TV for her, but it won't. Eventually we realised that she would have to have a digital hard drive recorder. We broached the subject with her in Autumn and agreed to club together with my sister-in-law and her husband to buy MIL a digital recorder for Christmas.

Today we went round to her house to do a few jobs. While husband hit things and unscrewed thing around the house, I set up the digital recorder for her. I wrote out simple step by step instructions for her on how to record, play and delete programmes. Nothing fancy, just the basics.

I showed her how to do it, then I gave her the instructions and helped her through the process, explaining things she didn't understand. She seemed to get the hang of it.

WM: Is that OK, then?

MIL: Yes, fine, I've got it now.

WM: Well, try recording a programme tonight and let me know how you get on.

MIL: Well, I don't need it 'til next November, do I?

WM: Grrrrrrrr!

9 comments:

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

I know I know.....my son thinks extermination by daleks is the way to go!!

The Dotterel said...

Love it!

Suburbia said...

Hee hee, so MIL ish!!

Maggie May said...

Funny!
You are brilliant at explaining things and I can remember you telling me how to get the heading on Photostory Friday & I copied out your instructions & have now learned them by heart!

My son got me a hard disc digital recorder and set it up for me. (Though the change over is a few years away yet.) I found it fairly easy as long as I don't have to reset or alter anything.I can record & watch a recording. We oldies are a nuisance aren't we. But if you realize all the changes we have had........ there were no TVs or fridges when I was little!

Ms Wiz said...

sounds like my father in law. He switches his digital set top box on only once a year to watch the tour de France!

scrappysue said...

i hope and pray that when i'm old i don't have the same problem grasping 'modern' technology! i imagine it must be very hard to deal with for some!

hilarious tho

Claire Sutton said...

Having worked in IT the only way to get poeple to use new technology is to turn off or take away the old technology. So you need to nick the old video recorder off her on your next visit!!!!

Reluctant Housewife said...

Ha! My MIL calls and emails me for instructions on fixing her TV when it's not doing what she wants... I live 1800 km away!

Polly said...

Hilarious, pleased to see she's not letting it bother her yet!!