Sunday, 7 December 2008

Rocking around the Christmas Tree

Feeling brighter today having got all that off my chest. It's been a beautiful, crisp, sunny, frosty winter's day and we've had a lovely afternoon walking along the canal to Walton Park and riding on the steam trains. Then, once thoroughly frozen, we came home for hot chocolate with marshmallows. Life doesn't get any better than this.

Yesterday we did our Christmas decorations. We had a few errands to do in the morning, so I suggested putting up the tree after lunch. I love doing the tree. I put Nat King Cole on the CD player and we munch away on mince pies while reminiscing over each bauble: Daughter's First Christmas bauble, Macy's 2001 bauble from our trip to New York, the salt dough decorations bought on a romantic weekend in York, etc.

Just as I started to prepare lunch husband decided to put the lights up in the cherry tree in the front garden. Okay, he can do that while I'm cooking, then we can eat and do the tree.

How long does it take to put lights in a cherry tree?


THREE HOURS!!


While he was doing that daughter and I put the garland over the fireplace and decorated it:

Then we waited. And waited. And waited.

Daughter amused herself by tipping out all the polystyrene chips from the box of baubles and making snow angels on the lounge floor:



At 3.30 pm husband came in from doing the cherry tree and started to assemble the Christmas tree in the lounge.


Then came the traditional argument about the lights. He put the lights on the tree without testing them first, switched them on and ........ fizz, fizz, phut!

"Where are the spare bulbs?"


"We haven't got any for those lights, just for the other set"

He proceeded to wiggle every one of the 100 bulbs trying to find the loose one. There was the occasional flash of lights, then nothing.

"Why don't you use the other set?"


"I've put these on the tree"


"Well, take them off"


"It doesn't solve the problem"

"No, but you can use the other set and we'll use these on the dining room tree next weekend once we've got spare bulbs"

"But that's not the objective"


"No, the objective is to decorate this tree. If you put the other lights on it we can decorate it"

By now it was tea time, I was losing the will to decorate the tree. Nat King Cole had had enough, too. I went to make the tea.

Finally, he changed the lights, we finished tea, we put Nat King Cole back on and we decorated the tree:


(Like the head gear?)

Ta dah!


It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas ............


11 comments:

Maggie May said...

Oh it all looks so lovely. Puts me to shame! Pity about the cherry tree!
Glad you seem so much better.

gigi said...

I love the mantel and your tree is beautiful. The head gear is charming too but I LOVE your skirt. I've managed to get the tree up and lights on it and that's as far as I have gotten with Christmas. Shelby and I did get to got to the ballet last night to see the Nutcracker.It was woonderful and we loved it.

Hope you continue to feel better.

Tara@Sticky Fingers said...

Is your husband standing on the room of the car to put those lights up?
Is a ladder got good enough in your house!

I STILL haven't done the decorations thing - putting it off for as long as the children allow me!

Claire Sutton said...

Head gear is great! Tree looking lovely (finally!) and the mantle as always looking gorgeous (I always did like your mantle garlands!).

BUT Izzie - I hadn't realised how much she has grown until I saw the pic of you two together! She's nearly as tall as you! She'll be a head higher than eldest son I'm sure! I can't get over it!!! And I can't stop using exclamation marks to show how suprised I am!!!

Polly said...

Wow your tree looks great, Im so glad you finally got it up. I suggested to dearest darlingest that we might put the tree up last Wednesday and we finally got it up on Friday, so I can commiserate with you on waiting times!

The Dotterel said...

Like the head-gear, love the tree!

Working mum said...

Tara, I thought he looked like he was standing on my car when I took it. He is, in fact, standing on a ladder.

Claire, I think I gave birth to an Amazon. She's four, but wearing age 7/8 clothes. She's 120cm and towers above the others in her class. The school nurse said she's off the scale for height. I just said, "That'd be right!"

Rachel Pattisson said...

Hello WM!
Thanks for your comment on my blog :o) I just recently discovered you and I'm loving your stories.
Nice tree - I can't wait to get ours up (hopefully this week!!!)

rosiero said...

And very nice it looks too. I've still got to do mine. Wanna come on over?

Jacki said...

Very pretty! I love to see how other people decorate their houses.

auntiegwen said...

It looks lovely, I hope you had a well earned nice glass of mulled wine and a mince pie afterwards, well not Izzy with the wine, you know what I meant x