Saturday, 20 December 2008

Christmas Cake Time!

I've tried to make a Christmas cake nearly every year since I got married. (Must have it all, must create fabulous Christmas Cake, must be perfect wife, etc)

Actually, I enjoy baking and the decorating of the cake is one of the few creative things I can do.

In the past I've made a Christmas Pudding Cake:

A Christmas Wreath Cake:

(this one took hours to do as I made all the decorations myself out of marzipan)

and a few others I can't find photos of such as a Chocolate Christmas Cake (spiced fruits stuck together with melted chocolate) topped with an array of white chocolate stars.

However, since having daughter I have had to abandon the elaborate in favour of the simple, yet stunning.

Last year was the first time daughter helped me and we made this simple, yet stunning Silver Star Cake:

(I've been picking up silver balls from the kitchen floor all year!)

This year I went for the Ring of Stars Cake. Yesterday, while I covered the cake in marzipan, daughter cut out 42 icing stars. Some were coloured yellow, but others I sprayed with edible gold lustre.

Today I iced the cake and we threaded the stars on to gold ribbon to decorate it.

Ta dah!


I think you'll agree - simple, yet stunning!

20 comments:

Suburbia said...

Wow some stunning decorations! My Tall Girl has been decorating the cake single handed for the last 2 yeaars! It is great to know that she will take over and do the whole thing! Lovely to have girls isn't it!!

gigi said...

MAN!! That is awesome!! What flavor is underneath? I'd love a slice. Yall did a fantastic job.

I loved the pictures of all your cakes too.

Nicol said...

What beautiful cakes! I simply don't have the patience for something like that. I would love to and my way of getting out of baking as been lack of kitchen space. I can't say that anymore.

So is this a tradition from when you were a girl to have a Christmas cake or something fun you decided to do?

The Guider said...

Those are fabulous, well done, you're really talented!

Have you seen the Cake Wrecks blog? I love it.
http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/

Moannie said...

They are all simply stunning, but the last one is abso-blooming-fab-u-lous. well done the pair of you.

Polly said...

You are far too clever. The cake looks amazing.

scrappysue said...

legendary! almost too good to eat! awesome - extremely creative. (sighs of awe...)

Working mum said...

Gigi - all my Christmas cakes are fruit cakes, but I do try different versions; this year's is apricot and brandy fruit cake.

Nicol - my mum is a keen baker so I guess I get it from her. I loved baking with her as a child and now I do the same with Izzy. My mum usually makes a Christmas cake, but this year she's asked me to take mine to hers for Christmas!

The Guider - I'll check out that blog now!

rosiero said...

They are all fantastic. You are really good at this. Far better than you can buy in the shops!

Expat mum said...

Very very impressed. Unfortunately, over here, Christmas cake and pud is something of a joke, (literally) so there's no point in my even bothering. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Nunhead Mum of One said...

Okay. Can I book you to make mine next year? Seriously? As long as you're happy for me to say to my mother in law "Oh, the cake? Twas nothing, whipped it up in between washing the floor and redecorating the hallway"

Jacki said...

WoW! That is awesome. Well done!

auntiegwen said...

They look beautiful. I'm sorry to say I don't have that creative flair myself, mine taste nice but the kids and I don't make them look that glam !!!

Tara@Sticky Fingers said...

Wow Working Mum, they are amazing.
Your daughter is so lucky to have a mum who really enjoys baking. I had that with my grandma and I absolutely love it (probably because she always let me lick the bowl . . . )

Pam (Pixie Dust Diva) said...

Awesome, beautiful cakes! These are just as fabulous as any I've seen in books! I make wedding cakes for fun - it's just such a pleasure to create.

Rachel Pattisson said...

Wow! They all look great! I Love your stars this year :o) You could go professional!
Rx

The Dotterel said...

They look so good, it must be difficult to eat them!

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

wow..those are sutnning and I thought mine were good!!

Dusty Spider said...

Very impressive - and stunning! I made a cake this year too. My first. Have a look at the pic I'll be posting later. It tastes delicious but it's not nearly as stunning to look at as your is. Maybe next year! Flick xx

Reluctant Housewife said...

Those are amazing! I'm totally impressed.

The word verification says, "fatspe". Do you think it's insulting me, or merely commenting on cakes?