Friday, 21 November 2008

Oh elusive rest

Cold got worse, now on third day off work, couldn't venture out of bed yesterday, today I'm off to the doctor's. Really just want to get fit again, but how come you can't get a rest when you need one? Tomorrow I have to take daughter to pony riding party which she is desperate to go to, I have to walk round with her and it's forecast snow. Then there was this:

Yesterday whilst bedridden with temperature and hacking cough I heard a knock at the door.

"It'll go away", I thought.

Then I heard men's voices outside so I gingerly got up and looked through the bedroom window. A plain blue van with a ladder on the top.

"Mmmm", I thought, "Not the window cleaner, maybe gardeners looking for work?"

I staggered back to bed.

Next thing I know, one of them has climbed on to the wheelie bin at the side of the house and jumped over our side gate into the back!

"Perhaps they are burglars just checking if anyone is in before the breaking in round the back?" I thought. Well, the police have said burglaries are on the increase in our area in these straightened times.

At this point I was more annoyed with husband for leaving wheelie bin down the side of the house as useful step (which I have nagged him several times not to do) than fearful of being burgled. Funny how the mind works when you're not well.

Then there was another knock on the door.

At this point I thought I'd better answer it, show the burglars there is someone in, take a good look at them and then inform the police.

I staggered downstairs and opened the door.

"Oh, I'm so sorry love. Have we woken you up? Do you work nights? We're from 'Roofline' (name changed to protect the innocent), we're here to fix your guttering. I'm so sorry to disturb you, but we don't know which is the leaking part. My mate's gone round the back to see if it's there. Can you tell us where it is and we'll fix it for you?"

'Roofline' are the company that fitted our soffits, fascias and guttering last year and husband had rung them to fix a leaking piece while still under warranty.

I showed them the leaking part and went back to bed.

9 comments:

Maggie May said...

Oh, that's alright then! They were persistent though.

Hope you feel better very soon. There is something very nasty going round our school.

The Dotterel said...

Isn't it always the way that the doorbell rings when someone's gone to bed. I was very rude to some persistent JW's the other day when Charlie was asleep. Hope you feel better soon. (Tell you what, taker the next two days off...)

auntiegwen said...

If I don't have to go out of the house, I stay in my jammies, people always think I work nights !

Hope you feel much better soon x

Suburbia said...

You poor thing! You are quite right though, as mothers it is impossible to get time to rest when we're ill. If the 'other half' is ill, they take to their beds and we pick up the pieces for them and administer to them at the same time!!

Wrap up snug tomorrow :)

Stacie said...

ugh, the thought process when we are ill is a funny thing.

blogthatmama said...

Get well soon Working Mum, it never rains but it snows

cheshire wife said...

Well saves having to take a day off work for the roof men to come round. Hope you got the gutter fixed and that you will be feeling better soon.

verification word - shark

CC said...

They called you "love"?? Is that normal? You must be one hot young chick!!! Feel better soon!

We have a neighbor who is often in our yard looking for cans. We almost called the police the 1st time. Now we just pretend like he's not there.

Reluctant Housewife said...

It never fails... Whenever I'm in PJs with bedhead way past when I should be, someone knocks at the door.