Monday, 24 November 2008

Can anyone assist?

Before you read this post, please note that it is not a whine, whinge or complaint. It is just fact. Keep reading to the end because you may be able to help me!

* * * * * * *

Husband is mad at me for going back to work today before being fully fit, but he doesn't understand the build up of work continues even when I'm not there.

Normally I get two hours of marking per night. Fine. Daughter goes to bed, I do my marking (interspersed with a bit of blogging) and then I go to bed. Job done.

Now, I've just had three days off ill, so you do the maths.

On my desk this morning were:
  • three sets of books (one and a half hours)
  • two assessments (two hours)
  • one set of exams (two hours)
  • one set of sixth form homework (half an hour)
Of course I was put on cover in my 'free' period and exam/assessment marks have to be in by Wednesday so I've had to bring six hours of marking home with me. And I haven't even started writing my reports yet!

Now, what I need is ...................




.......... to stop doing this:

Meez 3D avatar avatars games



.......... to get one of these:

Meez 3D avatar avatars games

(oh no, I can't, I'm on antibiotics)

............. and find one of these:


Meez 3D avatar avatars games

Anyone got a time machine I can borrow?

13 comments:

The Dotterel said...

Emergency marking procedure:
1) distribute all assignments to the class below;
2) write brief mark-scheme on the board;
3) give class five minutes to mark a book each;
4) refer to it in the presence of SMT as a new 'Assessment for Learning' strategy you've devised, and everybody's happy;
5) mark one set of books (those of the most junior class.
6) Open a bottle of wine. You deserve it!

Stacie said...

*hugs* try to get some rest in there somewhere too!

Maggie May said...

It is most annoying that you have to do the marking & assessments etc. It all piles up. Someone got paid to temp your job while you were away and yet they couldn't do all these extras.

I understand completely what goes on in a school. Makes you feel that you HAVE to go back pronto.

Suburbia said...

Oh if only!! It seems unfair that you still have to mark when you're ill. Can't the suply teacher do some of the marking?

You do need to rest you know!!!

Working mum said...

Stacie - thank you!

The Dotterel - great idea, Assessment for Learning - why didn't I think of that?

Suburbia and Maggie - my school doesn't use supply teachers when someone is absent; me and my colleagues have to cover for one another. So no one got paid to do my lessons, my colleagues just lost their 'frees' (as I did today). I still have to set work and mark it if I'm off ill, which is what makes it so difficult to have time off to get better. Heigh ho!

Mean Mom said...

You're in a no win situation, unfortunately. You need to go back to work, or you will struggle to catch up, but you risk getting worse again if you return too early. Roll on the Christmas holidays. If you're lucky you might get a few minutes rest!

Reluctant Housewife said...

I don't have a time machine. I did put out a request for one last summer... and got no offers. Sadly, there are somethings even mommy bloggers can't do. shocking I know.

Good luck with all the marking.

auntiegwen said...

Being part time at school (and part time in another 3 jobs !!!) means I get 2 frees a week, but I hardly ever get them.

I spent the weekend marking, last night preparing the scheme of work for the new unit I'm about to teach and will spend tonight doing more marking.

This year I am teaching 5 units I've never done before and the units I taught last year are being taught by someone else !!!

I know exactly how you feel

scrappysue said...

you work too hard and your body is telling you something - well, it's trying to! you must love your job! take care and get well soon

Melipop said...

All I can offer is sympathy and a hug - not much help though...

the mother of this lot said...

You'll never get better at this rate. In fact you might even end up like that burnt-out, ex-teaching, ex-thought-she-could-be-Superwoman-forever mother of a stack of kids who is quite familiar to you!

Don't risk your health - it's not worth it.

Working mum said...

Mean Mom - you are so right

Reluctant - why has no one invented one yet then if there's such demand?

Auntie Gwen - you work harder than me and you've got three (beautiful) children, tell me your secret!

Scrappy - if my body is telling me something I'm sticking my fingers in my ears and going "la la la la" cause it keeps happening

Melipop - thank you, much appreciated

MOTL - I shall heed your warning! Although that woman you speak of does write a good blog!

cheshire wife said...

Perhaps if you stay off for longer than you have done, someone else will do some of your workload rather than let it just pile up. Or, as you are clearly still not well, taking home the marking & assessments etc and having another couples of days off sick and catch up with your paperwork.