Sunday, 26 October 2008

Big Bad Mummy

Sometimes I get fed up of being big bad mummy. Take last night:

Sitting in the kitchen with daughter drinking her bedtime milk she decided to launch Tigger across the room narrowly missing hitting two glasses and a vase.

Husband: Be careful!

Be careful?! What's that about? How can you carefully throw a teddy?

Me: Don't throw Tigger

Daughter: Awwww!

We move to the lounge and daughter dives behind sofa, waggles the floor lamp about nearly knocking over six long stemmed wine glasses on the bookshelves.

Husband: Be careful!

How exactly do you carefully wave a floor lamp around?!

Me: Don't play behind the sofa

Daughter: Awwww!

Daughter comes and sits between us on the sofa and starts kicking the coffee table spilling my tea.

Husband: Be careful!

Yes, darling, carefully kick the coffee table! Give me strength!


Me: Don't kick the coffee table.

Daughter: Awwww!

Minor domestic ensues as I try to explain to husband that "Be careful" doesn't stop her doing these things, whereas "Don't" does!

14 comments:

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

you go girl!!! thats why my teenage daughter thinks I'm a freak and her dad is her bestest pal....GGGRrrrrr

auntiegwen said...

I'm always big bad Mummy even though 2 of them are bigger than me !

Enjoy your half term, back to school for me tomorrow, sadly !

Nunhead Mum of One said...

Half term has even officially started yet and already the most over used words in my vocabulary are "no", "don't" and "Mackenzie!"

I, rather spectacularly, used all three this morning in the same sentence when we were up the park: nice park man had just swept a pile of leaves into a, well, into a pile and all three dogs and Mac started circling it, all with their intentions clearly written across their faces.

"No, don't do that Mackenzie" said I as I watched him literally rev up to launch himself bodily into the leaves. "The dogs will follow and....."

Too late. I couldn't quite catch what park man was saying but there was an awful lot of "effs" in there.

echoeve said...

I hate to say this but at our house it is more like mommy saying be careful and daddy saying don't do that.
Hee hee
It keeps the balance

gigi said...

I'm always the bad guy too. Seems like men have it easy in lots of ways. SAD!

Reluctant Housewife said...

Yes... there is a need to be specific. You don't sound all that big or bad to me. :)

Stacie said...

ha...so true.

scrappysue said...

dads. they never wanna be the bad guy!

blogthatmama said...

I'm the Wicked Witch of the North too...Blogthatmamax

Reluctant Housewife said...

I commented on this post... but I don't see my comment. I guess it didn't take... I said that being specific is important and that you didn't seem all that big or bad to me.

Also, I just wanted to let you know I've tagged you...

Kareer Woman said...

Everyone will survive! lol

Expat mum said...

Aren't you supposed to sit her down and ask her to reflect on the possible outcomes of her actions? Uh oh - I think I've been in the States too long.

cheshire wife said...

I think that until your daughter is a bit older you have to accept a less than perfect house, but that does not mean she can behave badly.

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

More memories - but far too soon she will be retreating to her lovely bedroom and you'll wonder where she is! M :-)