Wednesday, 10 September 2008

A Tale of Two Stresses

I haven't been back at work at week yet and I am sooooo frazzled. I thought I had it all sorted, I thought I had organised things so that my life would run smoothly for the next seven weeks. The best laid plans ...........

Firstly, I have injured my shoulder. I don't know how, but after two days of writing on the board I was in agony. I spent most of the weekend with my arm in a sling trying to get it better for Monday. No such luck.

I went to see the school nurse (so handy!) who said that my muscles were in spasm protecting an injury and the only way to release them was a course of physiotherapy and to see my GP as soon as possible. Of coure, working full time I could only get an appointment after work with my GP next week. I'm hoping it's healed by then. Who's got time to go for physiotherapy?

Secondly, socks. I've never had a problem with socks before, but daughter's school socks are another story altogether.

Last week, two days before she started school, I decided to check her very complicated uniform and equipment list to see if we had the correct stuff. I discovered that I had bought the wrong socks. I had bought white ankle socks which are only allowed in Summer Term with the school summer dress. In Autumn Term she needs knee high grey socks.

I made a mad dash to Tesco, but only found grey ankle socks or knee high white socks. I then scoured the supermarkets and clothes shops in the area, but no luck. I ended up 8 miles away in the school outfitters buying the last four pairs of knee high grey socks at the grossly inflated price of £10.

Then, at the weekend, I washed two pairs of socks and lovingly placed the precious items on the tidy dry.

"Why don't you tumble dry them?" husband asked.

"Because they are a wool/cotton mix and they will shrink, they are the only ones left in the whole of NW England and they cost a fortune" I replied.

Last night, while I was at choir rehearsal, husband decided to do some washing. (In true Mars/Venus style I am supposed to be grateful that he decided to contribute to the running of the house by doing one load of washing)

Yes, you've guessed it. Daughter has two pairs of socks that are no longer knee high. She is down to two pairs.

I resisted the urge to shout "YOU IDIOT! I TOLD YOU THEY COULDN'T BE TUMBLE DRIED. I STRUGGLED TO GET THEM AND THEY COST AN ARM AND A LEG. WHY DON'T YOU LISTEN????!!!"

15 comments:

The Dotterel said...

We're made for empirical verification, that's why we don't listen. We have to try things for ourselves. Instruction manuals? Wash labels? Pah!

WORKING MOM said...

Don't think that I would have resisted the urge to yell. That is a problem. Who would think, socks.

gigi said...

Oh the frustration, I feel your pain and I am so sorry.

scrappysue said...

i'm fairly certain that by the time i get back from my trip to NY, everything will have been shrunk in the drier.....

i feel ya!

Parisgirl said...

Dotterel...if it is "empirical verification" surely ONE pair of socks would have done not two. On seconds thoughts that would have been thinking and counting.
Working Mum, thanks for being a "follower". I have officially recognised you as the first!

Nunhead Mum of One said...

Hm! David once tumble dried my lovely baby girl pink cashmere jumper "to prove that manufacturers just put stupid things like NO TUMBLEDRYING on labels just to be awkward"

Still. It looked nice on my five year old niece.

Mom/Mum said...

Oh I feel your frustration sister! I have just discovered that my hubs, whilst trying to show off last night while I was out, cleaned all the kitchen, loaded dishwasher, emptied the bins/trash etc and managed to throw the children's bibs(yes, the expensive wipeable-catch-the-food ones) into the wheelie bin. Which has just been collected by the garbage truck! Grrr.
I have just got off ranting down the phone at husband, where I am now accussed of being 'ungrateful' for his help!!!

Amanda said...

Bless your heart. I know the men should be responsible adults and help with that stuff, but they really do stink at it.

Nicol said...

I'm so sorry. I love it when my dh helps with laundry, but yet I hate finding out what I can not longer wear because it is either a totally different color or too small to fit.

I hope your shoulder feels better soon. That certainly can not be good at a time like this. The start of the school year.

Suzysoo said...

They never listen, nor do the kids, then when it all goes tits up......

Thanks for being my first follower, I'm now going to go and do a happy post to celebrate as its been rather depressing of late!

MamaGeek said...

I feel ya. I hate it when my clothes come out the size made for a Barbie doll. Hope tomorrow is better!

Maggie May said...

Oh dear, why do husbands always do the job you've always wanted them to do at the totally wrong time! Mars & Venus, alright!

Pam (Pixie Dust Diva) said...

Honestly - when the average man performs any measly household duty (that we can do with our eyes closed) they frequently screw it up and yet expect exhorbitant praise (and sex) since they "helped". They can be an aggravating lot! I'm fortunate that mine can do the laundry - excellently I might add - but it's rare to find that and it took me 50 years!

supplydemands said...

Love your blog - what a thoughtful hubby you have!

LifeBehindTheCoach.com said...

Love your blog - don't know if this helps but I've written two books 1) 'Behind with the Laundry and Living off Chocolate' and 2) 'Behind with the Marking and plagued by Nits'! -it just occurred to me you might find them funny!