Wednesday, 24 September 2008

Silly working mum!

Silly working mum for thinking she could have a hobby. Do something for herself. Do something she enjoys. Silly, silly, working mum.

Last night was choir rehearsals.

I only ask for one night a week.

Not too much to ask.

Every week husband arrives home from work (usually, but not always) just in time for me to go to rehearsal, but last night husband was away in London (football tournament) so I asked MIL to babysit so that I could still go to choir.

I rushed home, fed daughter, got daughter ready for bed, did the dishes and tidied up (MIL doesn't understand plight of working mum and doesn't understand week-long clutter), got daughter's room ready (MIL can't draw the curtains in there), set up the TV for 'Emmerdale' (MIL can't work remote controls) and got my music ready.

MIL arrived. I made her a coffee.

Then she dropped the bombshell:

"Can you be home for 9.00pm? I have a friend coming to stay."

"Yes, of course" I said.

Notice how calm I stayed?

I'm usually home at 10.00pm (as she knows) but I didn't want to appear ungrateful for her babysitting. However, if she'd mentioned this earlier, I could've asked someone else to babysit!

Aaaargh!

Meez 3D avatar avatars games


I then made a hasty phone call to the choir member I car-share with to say that I would have to go under my own steam. Thus I incurred extra petrol costs at £1.07 per litre ($7.45 per gallon).

I drove for half an hour to rehearsal, incurred the wrath of the Musical Director by telling her I would have to leave at the break, sang for one hour ('Lasciate mi morire'- particulary apt) then drove for half an hour home again.

Why do I bother?


The Manchester Chorale

............keeping working mum sane?!

24 comments:

family affairs said...

Oh no. How frustrating....and exhausting Lx

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

you bother because its probably the only YOU time you'll get!

you were very composed, l'm proud of you.

sigh!! just breathe

Suburbia said...

You poor thing. They can be so thoughtless at that age!!!

gigi said...

I'm so sorry about that. Shame on her. You sooo deserve those few hours. Good luck next week.

Maggie May said...

I think 10 o'clock would have been very reasonable myself. Can't get anywhere and back by 9.00.
You sound a very patient lady!
I loved the photo. Saw you in the front row!

(Very) Lost in France said...

I'm exhausted just reading your post! Something for you chez moi. VLiF

Ernest de Cugnac said...

But what a great bunch you look!

Suzysoo said...

Big breath and count to ten! For what its worth, if I could, I would have Izzy sat for you!

Mom/Mum said...

Grrr...well don't you for not losing it with the MIL.

Polly said...

You got there, at least you got some time. My husbnad is a Rugby player and in winter gets 2 nights and a Saturday but grumbles if I want to go to yoga....go figure.

scrappysue said...

and you go mad trying to stay sane lol, but you all look FAAAAAAABULOUS!!!

The Dotterel said...

Goodness me, you do want it all don't you?! (I'm joking, honest!). Being in three different choirs stretches the babysitting resources here, I can tell you. And chorus masters (mistresses) are so unreasonable, aren't they - demanding our attendance at each one of their rehearsals!?

Working mum said...

Maggie - I'm second from the left in the second row!

VLIF - Will pop over soon!

SuzySoo - Thank you, but Cornwall is such a long way to come from to babysit.

Polly - Welcome! Will pop over to see you soon.

The Dotterel - Three choirs! That's just being greedy! Don't you get double booked at Christmas?

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

my first meme....so consider gaunlet thrown...
l thought IF you had the time its would be interesting..http://fatfrumpyandfifty.blogspot.com/2008/09/my-first-meme_25.html

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

MIL doesn't sound like she's firing on all cylinders! It wouldn't have taken too much thought to tell you in advance that she had to scoot an hour earlier.

Singing is great for stress, all that oxygen in the lungs and firing around your bloodstream. Keep it up!

Melipop said...

How I sympathise - I could claim the content of that blog for my very own. What is it with MILs? My choir starts rehearsing for Christmas this weekend and I can't wait.

LifeBehindTheCoach.com said...

Let's just say i understand ENTIRELY!

WORKING MOM said...

You bother because you are a beautiful person and need to express it as an individual.

Jacki said...

There are many hobbies I've had to give up because there is no time, and I miss them. But I refuse to give up reading!

Don't give up!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Oh yeah, that sounds insanely frustrating my friend.

Here's hoping next week is better!

blogthatmama said...

Remarkably restrained WM, you deserve a gold star sticker for your good grace! Blogthatmamax

A Confused Take That Fan said...

Aaaaaaaaargh!! How annoying! Ooh, makes me feel frustrated just reading it. Better luck next time! At least you managed a little sing before having to shoot off. Better than nothing??

auntiegwen said...

How very dare we try to have a life !!!

Reluctant Housewife said...

How frustrating!