Sunday, 28 September 2008

Shopping Bliss!

Well, despite my waking up with a sore throat, no voice and lots of sneezing (WMS strikes again) my mum and I set off for the Trafford Centre on my 'day off' thanks to 'mum vouchers'.



We perused Barton Square (the new 'home' section) and I bought some beautiful cushions for my new sofas. I also found Portmeirion 'Holly and Ivy' collection which I use at Christmas so bought some more dishes.





We hot-footed it to John Lewis where I found some lamps for the new lounge and mum helped me choose lampshades. I know I'm hitting middle-age now, because I had no qualms about unscrewing the shades from the display lamps to try on the ones I wanted. I would never have done that a few years ago!

We had a lovely lunch in Cafe Rouge (chicken caesar salad and tarte au citron) courtesy of Tesco Deals Vouchers (TGFT). Then a cup of tea and we were revived enough to hit the clothes shops.


I bought a Per Una cardigan and necklace from M&S which I can wear to daughter's school things and not look like a refugee from Matalan. I also bought a new winter coat from Next. I find it very difficult to find winter coats I like so my last one was bought four years ago and is on its last legs. The Textile Technology (sewing, to you and me) teacher at school suggested I get my darning needle out to mend it!

I also bought a few odds and ends like curtain hooks to hang the curtains in the lounge, a new shaving mirror for the bathroom and a little cashmere V-neck for work.

And that's all the shopping I could manage in one day. It will be a few months before I'll have the opportunity again, so I made the most of it.

My mum didn't buy anything, but she said she had a lovely day. It was great spending a day with my mum. I haven't spent a day alone with her since daughter was born! She was also a great help in choosing stuff; she has such great taste.

We returned home to find that the new sofas had been delivered (they really fill the room!) and husband had taken daughter to the park and she had tried cycling without stabilisers.

Husband said to my mum: "Thanks for taking WM to do all the house shopping that I hate!" - so everyone was happy!

My mum left with a bag of frozen blackberries and I started to create my beautiful new lounge (photos at a later date)!

Now it's back to reality - husband is away for the day at some football trials in Blackburn, I've got a streaming cold, daughter needs entertaining; I'm planning cupcakes and last night's "Strictly" then it's washing, ironing, cleaning, cooking, etc.



Ho hum!

13 comments:

gigi said...

What a wonderful, well deserved day you had with your mothe! Way to go that your husband got to keep precious so you could go with your mom. Sounds like you got a lot acomplished. I always like when that happens :)

WORKING MOM said...

Well, I wish that shopping trips went like that with my mum. That's more like time with my mum-in-law. Glad that you had a fine time.

The Dotterel said...

And so the cycle continues! (Sorry, non pun intended on the daughter's lack of stabilisers.) I'd start planning for your next trip now...

auntiegwen said...

I'm cross with John Lewis at the moment, they've sacked a fellow blogger for complaining about customers on her Bebo page.

What ever happened to free speech !

ChickPea said...

Hi wm ! Sorry that the bug has taken hold and the chores are ganging up on you. Sounds like you need to test drive the sofas as a first priority, including the 'foot' and 'feet' tests, and with full all-round assessment of the new cushions and new lampshades (check what they look like with the lights off too......) loadsaluv, x x x

Suzysoo said...

Glad you had a lovely day. Can't wait to see your lounge!

scrappysue said...

sounds like you got the day you wished for! (except for the streaming nose). lol

Jacki said...

There's nothing better than retail therapy!

farming-frenchstyle said...

Glad you had a good day. Love my husband, but wish he would take more time out - alone!

cheshire wife said...

Days off have to be earned or paid for somehow that is why you have the housework to do.

I usually go round the shops looking at household things. Then when I have narrowed the choice down to two or three items I ask my husband for his opinion.Luckily we have the same taste or he just can't be bothered!

Sally's Chateau said...

Nooooooooo stop it, you've bought more in an afternoon than I have in what seems like a decade. Slight exageration I suppose. Arghhhhh John Lewis, when's the first flight back ?

echoeve said...

I don't have Mum vouchers, but my husband is usually okay with me having some me time.

sounds like a great day, and memory you will have of your Mom

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

That was obviously the best day - and lovely to spend it with your Mum. M;-)