Tuesday, 2 September 2008

Mezzo Mummy ?

As you know, in my spare time I sing in The Manchester Chorale.


Meez 3D avatar avatars games

It's a relatively well-renowned choir in musical circles. I sing regularly at the Bridgewater Hall, I've done TV and radio and I've sung with Jose Carreras and Pavarotti. I think I have a fairly nice singing voice. I love singing. I sing a lot around the house. I sing with daughter and she always asks me to sing her a lullaby after her bedtime story. It's our 'mummy and daughter' moment.

Today, taking advantage of our last day of freedom before returning to school (I have an INSET day tomorrow), we were out blackberry picking and daughter was picking flowers. Buttercups and daisies. Having a song for every occasion, I started singing:

"As I was going to Strawberry Fair, singing, singing, buttercups and daisies"

Daughter pipes up: "Mummy, will you stop?"

I was a little hurt, truth be told, so I asked her, "Why? I thought you liked my singing"

"Well, I love your singing," she was placating me, obviously, "but sometimes it gives me a headache."

Ouch!!

Think I may need to reassess my singing career!

10 comments:

A Confused Take That Fan said...

AAh, gotta love the honesty...

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

kids eh?

YOU have sung with Pavarotti??..being in the same room as him wouldve been an honour, singing with him...manna from heaven..wow
I AM IMPRESSSED!!!

saz x

Can Bass 1 said...

Fear not, your daughter was clearly under the mistaken impression that you were about to segue into Scarborough Fair, a la Simon and Garfunkel! That would certainly induce a headache.

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

Up to date at last - and good luck for tomorrow. Trust your little darling to come out with that comment. M xx

gigi said...

Isn't it funny how kids just say what is on their minds? Sometimes we just don't have a clue what there little minds are thinking. They don't mean to be brutaly honest. That was cute.

Sair said...

Children say such funny things sometimes. You never know what they are going to say next! Don't let her put you off. I am sure she loves your singing most of the time. :)

Suzysoo said...

It must be a lovely channel for outletting emotions-being able to sing properly. I'm quite envious.

Mom/Mum said...

ahh bless em those little ones and their honest tongues! you can come sing for me I could do with something more tuneful than Him Downstairs' warblings!

Reluctant Housewife said...

Hee-hee!

Kids eh?

When I was little I used to love it when my mom sang to me. One night she started to sing my brother a lullaby. He looked up at her pityingly and said, "Mom... Don't sing."

She still tells the story.

The Dotterel said...

'Daddy - does it have to be so loud?' said Sally, as I ran through something big and bassy I was singing somewhere recently. Told to turn the volume down by your ten year old!