Friday, 19 September 2008

Birthdays and Baking

My birthday was fine. I got presents and cards in the morning. Most of them were opened by daughter. Especially the one from her that she informed me was "for us to share".

It was a box of chocolates!

Husband bought me a lovely new watch (which I chose on Sunday so I knew I would like it) and daughter bought me this cookbook.......



......... so we can bake gorgeous cupcakes together.

Talking of cake, the lemon drizzle cake went down very well with my department. I am now the new official "lemon drizzle cake baker". Gigi has asked for the recipe and being so busy at the moment I've cheated and found it already written out at Flibbertygibbet's place (and I agree entirely with her about the Limoncello tasting like Lemsip) so click here to find out how to bake it.

I dashed back to school in the evening and eventually got home at 9.30pm to flop into bed with a cup of tea and a slice of cake. I failed miserably as a mother by not doing daughter's reading with her so I wrote in her reading record "mum's birthday". I think that says it all ...................

20 comments:

Mom/Mum said...

smart daughter! happy birthday btw. Lemon drizzle cake sounds delicious...

GoneBackSouth said...

Yeah, any cake with the word drizzle sounds good to me!

Potty Mummy said...

Happy Birthday Working Mum!

Tara@From Dawn Till Rusk said...

Gasp. I. WANT. THAT. BOOK

gigi said...

Oh, thank you so much! Soon as I get all the ingreds I'll try it and let you know how mine turned out! Happy Day!

Suburbia said...

I'm going to copy that line when we have no time to read. Do you think they'll count how many birthdays I can fit into one year / reading log?!!
Happy B'day :)

A Confused Take That Fan said...

Happy Belated Birthdat Working Mum. The cupcake book looks delish! Great pressie!!
I think you will be let off reading duties for one night, as it was your birthday...but no more slacking, or you will have to do 100 lines...

Suzysoo said...

Happy belated birthday, WM. Glad you had a good one!

The Dotterel said...

Official departmental cake-baker! Do you get a TLR for that?

Working mum said...

Tara - cupcake book available from Amazon! PS I can't use your site, none of the links work, so I can't leave comments. Will keep trying.

Gigi - glad to oblige, hope you enjoy it!

Dotterel - unfortunately not, but it is a something I can hold over them if I need cover, to swap duty, etc! No cooperation, no lemon cake!

gigi said...

Your comment on my blog about grits, so made me laugh! Grits are ground corn. We mostly eat them with butter for breakfast. But down here in the south we eat them with fish and or shrimp! Yum! Go here to check them out and see a picture :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grits

Working mum said...

Thanks Gigi - I was a bit worried that grits would damage your teeth. I am now educated!

Ashley Ladd said...

Happy birthday. That cupcake looks delicious. What nice gifts your family gave to you.

WORKING MOM said...

As an educator, reading mum's card certainly does the trick. Hope all was happy for you!

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

Happy birthday! Clever girl, now all you have to do is teach her that if she ever visits anyone in hospital that she has to take them something she wants to eat too!

She'll never go hungry that one....

Millennium Housewife said...

Happy Birthday! Homework should always be avioded on birthdays, andyone's.MH

Jacki said...

That book looks especially fun.

cheshire wife said...

A belated Happy Birthday and if you don't mind collecting your own present there is an award for you at my place.

Reluctant Housewife said...

It's super-belated, but Happy birthday!

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

Oh this is much too belated, but Happy Birthday anyway... I love that book and will try to find it for baking with Grandson. Lovely.
M xx