Thursday, 14 August 2008

Olympics here we come!

Firstly let me say that I don't 'do' sport. I don't play it, don't watch it, don't 'get' it. I leave all that stuff to husband. Over that last few days he has been trying to indoctrinate daughter into the ways of the Olympics. This seems to involve putting the TV on as soon as he wakes up and watching people canoeing down concrete chutes, shooting arrows at grass circles and throwing themselves off diving boards and trying to explain it all to daughter.

Today he told daughter excitedly, "The athletics starts soon"

"What's athletics?" she asked

"It's running and jumping and throwing things" he explained

"Welly wanging?" she asked expectantly.

"Well, welly wanging isn't in the Olympics, yet" he said

Yet?! My ears pricked up at this point. I think I need to start a training programme.............


my daughter ...................


............... future gold medal welly wanger!

14 comments:

Tara@From Dawn Till Rusk said...

Actually I may have a very strong contender for that medal you're eyeing up - my son is an ACE welly wanger . . .

Working mum said...

Tara - we should start a welly wanging club and lobby the Olympic Committee.

Any other welly wangers out there?

Swearing Mother said...

And why not welly wanging, indeed? Should be easy to get sponsorship from Hunters.

gigi said...

Okay, I lost here, I'm not sure what welly wanging is??

Working mum said...

Sponsorship! Didn't think of that.

Gigi - Welly Wanging is the ancient British sport of throwing a Wellington Boot as far as you can and further than your opponents can throw their wellies. Surprised it hasn't swept the globe!

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

try saying that with two g &t's inside you!! LOL...wangwllying...humprh!!

great to laugh before l go to bed...may bring some pleasant dreams....zzzzzzzzzzzzz

MamaGeek said...

Oh yeah, I can see the next athlete right in that shot! VERY cute.

Maggie May said...

I know what you mean, being a non sporty person myself!
welly wanging sounds more interesting!

scrappysue said...

welly wanging? that sounds special lol. your daughter's boot looks like it's resting on that pregnant lady's bump...

Amanda said...

My mind may be in the gutter but I was feeling like that was a very vulgar sport. Then I saw that picture and figured it all out. What a great shot!!

The Mom Bomb, a/k/a Folksy Mama said...

I learn so much from this blog! Thanks for the definition -- I was concerned that "welly wanging" was something obscene.

Suburbia said...

Yep, I don't 'do' sport either! Now we're back from hols the indoctrination by tv starts via my Husband too!

womaninawindow said...

Not sure what welly wanging might be but it sure sounds a little naughty.

cheshire wife said...

After this wet summer we should have a head start on every other country in welly wanging.