Saturday, 30 August 2008

Hair today........

Yesterday I went to the hairdresser's for my 'back to school' haircut. Going to the hairdresser's is a treat. A little bit of 'me' time. I emerge from her deft hands at the hairdryer looking and feeling so much better.

I really like my hairdresser. She's the same age as me and we have the same experiences and cultural references. She also bought a wreck of a house two years ago and we compare where we are up to and give each other tips and names of stockists.

I did like my hairdresser.

It used to be a treat.

Yesterday, whilst blow drying my hair there was a sharp intake of breath and a

"Ooooooooh, Carol!"

"What? What?" I thought

"You've got a great big grey hair!" she cried (loud enough for everyone in the salon to hear and look round) and she held up one of my longest hairs. Yep, it looked a bit crinkly and definitely grey.

So, she didn't break it to me gently.

Not '"a little grey hair".

Not, "I think this might be a grey one".

No, a "great, big grey hair".

Her tip quickly diminished.

So this week I've had anti-wrinkle cream, hot flushes and a grey hair!

Really looking forward to my birthday soon!

8 comments:

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

Jesus wait until you find a grey pube! Your life is over as you know it because you can't dye the little feckers! Age wise, you can run but you can't hide!

Thanks for popping by my blog - love your humour by the way and will be back.

WORKING MOM said...

Sophistication, that's what it brings!!! Have to admit that I am hoping that my reddish blond strands go white.

Can Bass 1 said...

One cannot, indeed, stay the hand of time. But one doesn't want its progress heralded to all in the hairdressing saloon, eh? Baldness has its advantages!

scrappysue said...

well, they say things happen in threes! i'm so not ready to go grey. give me the colour, colour, colour!!! i would be grey within 6 months i swear. NEVER going to happen.....

gigi said...

I've been coloring my hair for so long that I'm not sure if there is any gray under there or not. Don't really want to know either. I have a very kind hairdresser who has never brought it up! Thank you very much.

Reluctant Housewife said...

One grey hair! pfft. No biggie.

I have tons.

cheshire wife said...

Do not worry, life begins at 40!

You can have as much fun with hair colour in the future as you are now having with paint.

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

How unkind! Must admit, I have no idea how gray mine is under the highlights! M :-)